iMac USB Ports Issue

Reaction score
I own a 24" White iMac and today I connected a 9 year old but brand new straight out of the box Belkin 4 port USB Hub to one of the three USB ports in the back of the computer. I have an old Epson Stylus Color 600 printer that I have connected to the Imac via a Keyspan parallel port to usb adapter cable. I removed the USB end of the cable and placed it in one of the hubs on USB port. When I went to print a document it said "printer offline." Unplugging and plugging back in the usb cable didn't work to "reset" the printer. I normally have to do this anyways without the hub after every time I print.

I then unplugged the cable from the USB hub from the back of one of the ports on the computer. I then plugged back in the USB end of the Keyspan parallel port to USB adapter cable back into that same port the USB hub was using on the back of the computer, restarted the computer and then went to print and document and I received a message saying "printer offline" almost as if the usb port was dead. My wired mouse and wired keyboard still work with this port thankfully, just not the printer cable.

I connected the USB hub to UBS port number 2 on the back of the iMac, with the printer cable connected to one of the hub's ports, plugged the printer into one of the USB hub's ports then printed a document and it said "printer offline." I unplugged the USB hub from port number 2 on the back of the iMac and then connected the printer cable back into the port, went to print a document and then received a message saying "printer offline."

I am hesitant to connect the USB hub to the 3rd and last port because for fear of the printer not recognizing the port after the USB hub has been connected to it. USB port 3 is the only one that works now with the printer cable. Yesterday, before I used this new USB hub everything was ok.

Can someone explain what might be going on? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
What OS are you running? Try (Apple Logo)(About this Mac)(More Info) Then go down to (USB). With the hub plugged in of course. Does it show up?

OP
S
Reaction score
I am running OS X 10.5.7 and yes the hub does show up and all I have currently connected to it is the Apple mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait.... did you say 9 year old hub? That's probably going to be USB 1.1 Connecting to a USB 2.0 printer. So it's not going to function correctly. Now you say usb port #1 & 2 aren't working with the printer? Try the mouse or keyboard in Those ports. Do they work?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, the hub is 9 years old. The printer is 14 years old and is connected to the back of computer's USB port by a Keyspan 6ft USB parallel printer adapter than has a parallel port on one end and a usb connector on the other end. The package doesn't say USB 1.1 or 2.0. I tried the mouse and the keyboard in ports 1 and 2 and they both work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, your ports work fine. So it's either the printer or the adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The USB hub will be v 1.1, but that shouldn't pose a problem. Things will work a little slower, that's all.

Is the USB hub mains-powered? If it isn't, and relies on power from the iMac's USB ports, that could be the problem. Keyboard and mouse draw very little power, the printer is a different matter.

OP
S
Reaction score
The USB hub is powered by an A/C adapter and I am using it that way. It find it curious that after connecting the USB hub to two of the three ports in the back of the iMac and then removing the hub from those two ports, the printer won't work with the Keyspan USB parallel cable like it was yesterday and for the past two years on those ports, independent of any hub.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.