Anyone switch from T-Mobile to AT&T for iPhone?

Reaction score
We are thinking of buying iPhones (new version) for our family at Christmas and switching to AT&T. We are currently with T-Mobile. We have roughly 1/2 year left on our contract. I understand we will incur an early termination fee. I am wondering if anyone could describe their experience in switching from T-Mobile to AT&T with the purchase of the iPhone. Specifically I was wondering how much your termination fee was, how was the process in switching, did you purchase iPhone at AT&T store or Apple store, etc. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I recently switched to Sprint from Tmobile, I was able to have all my termination fees waived, After a little digging online I found a 1-800 number for Tmobile corporate, One call to them explaining that the service was no longer up to par and that they could no longer satisfy our needs when it comes to smart phones, The customer service rep immediately terminated our contract 3 lines and we even ported our numbers over to Sprint, I'm sure it would be the same if you switch to At&t.

BTW: The Tmobile Termination fees would have been $600, So make sure you call. Also don't be rude. Good luck

Reaction score
We just switched from T-Mobile to AT&T and we are so glad we did! Coverage in our area is better and the iPhone is out of this world better than anything else!!! (My 2 year-old is playing with our old Blackberrys!) Another option you have is to switch down to a $5 a month plan with T-mobile, it gives you 20 minutes a month. We could do this because we didn't want our old numbers, but this gives us a year to think of everyone we need to give our new numbers to! Instead of a $400 termnation fee, we'll pay $120 for the year. I just check the voicemail every so often with my iPhone and marvel at how much better virtual voicemail is!

Reaction score
First try and get out of the termination fee directly with Tmobile. KNow anyone that needs a line? you can often lower it to the bare minimum plan and transfer it.

Otherwise my fee was $175. I had just upgraded to a new blackberry so they were not budging. No problem as I sold the balckberry for $200.

ATT has been just fine - better coverage than TMO and I use a Microcell at home just like I used UMA on TMO.

I bought the iphone before doing any cancelling w TMO to try it out (30 days) and after a week was WAY happier with iphone and just had my number ported at the ATT store - never talked to TMO just got a final bill approx 30 days later.

Very simple...just always worth a call to see what you can possibly negotiate. One thing I will say is that nobody has better customer service than TMO and Id be with them again if they got the iphone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.