New Mac mini, airport express, printer = enough devices?

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a brand new mac mini, with an airport extreme card. As best as I could explain to the apple store clerk, I want to keep my computer wired and print wirelessly. i was told an Airport express would fit the bill.

I will not be moving about the house, and want to keep my mac mini wired. I want the printer in another location, and wireless for that is fine. However, upon reading the airport express manual (I know, what's with that, huh?) it appears I can either wire the Airport Express to the modem and wirelessly connect to the computer (***NOT WHAT I WANT***) and wire to the printer, OR wire to an Airport Extreme base, wire to my computer and wirelessly connect to the printer connected to an Airport Express.

This confuses me. The printer is supposed to be wireless compatible, why do I need both an airport extreme base and an airport express? I would have gladly paid the 80 dollar difference and gotten the Airport Extreme base if that alone would have allowed me to keep my computer wired and use the printer's built-in wireless compatibility to connect it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You can use the Express either wired or wireless (join existing wireless network). Sounds like your problem is you want the Mini wired. To accomplish what you're trying to accomplish you need a wireless router with a built in switch. Then you can wire your Mini and either plug the Express into a switch port or have it join the existing wireless network (if you need the printing functionality of the Express). If the printer itself does wireless you will not need the Express for anything. Make sense?

OP
B
Reaction score
You can use the Express either wired or wireless (join existing wireless network). Sounds like your problem is you want the Mini wired. To accomplish what you're trying to accomplish you need a wireless router with a built in switch. Then you can wire your Mini and either plug the Express into a switch port or have it join the existing wireless network (if you need the printing functionality of the Express). If the printer itself does wireless you will not need the Express for anything. Make sense?

yes. do not have an existing wireless network. It sounds like I would have been better off with the Extreme base, so I could keep my mini wired and just use the wireless capacity of the printer. That's what I was afraid of. And I already gave my sales person a glowing review. dang.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
The Extreme would work and it is a great device, but any wireless router with a few built in switch ports will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.