taking out Lombard's hard drive??

C

catchawave

Is this a complicated task? I have a dead Lombard which I am selling for parts basically (it's got new 384MB worth of memory) but I want to take out the hard drive so none of my info is on it.
I called every place that is around me and they want to charge me 50.00 or more to take it out.
Can I do this myself? If so, can someone walk me through this.
I took the thing in for someone to put the memory in -- I was too chicken to do it myself.
But now that it's dead - I don't think I could do much more damage :)
I don't even know where it is!
Thanks --

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why don't you just wipe it clean? Boot off a system disk and select the 'secure erase' option in Disk utility...

It writes over every sector like 8x with random 1's and 0's so it it is extremely unlikely that anyone can retrieve the information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
catchawave said:
Is this a complicated task? I have a dead Lombard which I am selling for parts basically (it's got new 384MB worth of memory) but I want to take out the hard drive so none of my info is on it.
I called every place that is around me and they want to charge me 50.00 or more to take it out.
Can I do this myself? If so, can someone walk me through this.
I took the thing in for someone to put the memory in -- I was too chicken to do it myself.
But now that it's dead - I don't think I could do much more damage :)
I don't even know where it is!
Thanks --
search www.xlr8yourmac.com I think they have a how-to guide.

I think it is just like my Pismo, which is really easy. If so, just use a small screwdriver to unlatch the keyboard. Pull back the spring latches and tilt the keyboard back towards you. Unscrew the EMR sheild (two small phillips screws) in the middle. Tilt that away from you and lift. Now the HD should lift out if you tilt it a bit and pull on the plastic tab that is attached to it.

Good Luck

OP
C

catchawave

Aptmunich said:
Why don't you just wipe it clean? Boot off a system disk and select the 'secure erase' option in Disk utility...

It writes over every sector like 8x with random 1's and 0's so it it is extremely unlikely that anyone can retrieve the information.

The thing has no power. It's dead. Someone suggested to go ahead and take the hd out and wipe it clean -- or something like that.
I'm so done with this piece of crap. I just want the hd out and I will sell without a hard drive.
Someone can use it as parts or at least get some good new memory. I just don't ever want to see it again.
I bought it off ebay which was my first big mistake. Do I sound sour?? Well, I am. I'm tired of being ripped off and now they want to charge me a huge fee just to take out the hd!
I don't want to put anymore money into this thing.
Right now I'm using my good ole eMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.