Using external hard drive as my Itunes Library

Reaction score
I was able to consolidate my small Itunes music library to a new external hard drive which also contained a large collection of a friend's cd collection in the proper format. I was wondering how I can view the entire music library on my external hard drive once I open Itunes ?
Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not sure what you mean. If you have imported all the songs into iTunes, they will all be there to view.

OP
M
Reaction score
yes, the songs that were imported into Itunes are there but how can I view all the songs
on the external hard drive that were not originally imported into Itunes ? The Itunes media folder location is now the external hard drive. I am trying to view the songs on the hard drive when I open Itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You need to import them to see them in iTunes, there is no other way.
Of course you can view them on the HD by double clicking the folder they are in and looking, but they aren't going to show in iTunes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thats what I thought. I was hoping to keep the internal hard drive from getting too full and hoping to store my Itunes library solely on the external hard drive.
Thanks anways !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can do that no problem. I do.
If you have already changed the location of the iTunes library in preferences, anything you import from now on will go to the external drive, but will be visible in iTunes itself, so just import the songs you haven't yet and iTunes will see them from the external.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.