Thinking about buying a mac... would like some feedback from current mac users

Reaction score
Hi i am new to this forum, was referred to it from somebody from a different forum. I'm thinking about buying a macbook pro, i got a bonus at work enough to cover the computer. I always wanted a mac especially for the last 4 years. I'm getting sick of the Microsoft operating system, it seems like my computer crashes a lot, especially while working on projects i just wanted to get some feed back on people that are using the macs to see how they like it... the computer i am thinking about is the 13.3in macbook pro with 4gb of ram, 320 gb hard drive and a 2.4 GHz processor or the 2.66 GHz not sure on the processor yet... I was looking at the refurbished computers too, bc of how much cheaper they are if I could get some feedback on people that bought refurbished and new it would be greatly appreciated

I am a college student and when i was going away to school 2 years ago i had a different major i was majoring dual majoring in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. The People at the apple store told me at the time that Macs aren't the greatest computer to get bc of all the engineering programs ran on windows so sadly i got a PC I currently have a 15.5inch lenovo (IBM) SL500 with a 2.1 GHz processor 3gb ram and 180gb hard drive. Since then I changed my major so i do not have to worry about the engineering programs anymore.

sorry I wrote a lot I have been researching this a lot and i would just like some feedback from people thank you for reading...

Reaction score
if you live near a MicroCenter you can pick up a brand new 13inch macbook pro 2.4ghz 250gb for 999 before tax. otherwise go to apple's refubished. they're almost like brand new except the box, and they come with 1 year applecare standard.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You could always get the Mac of your choice and then run bootcamp + Windows to run your engineering software. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Well... I can tell you that I was once a PC user too. I HATED IT. Once I got my iMac G4 that was it, I was hooked. Now, OS X does take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's amazing. I'd go for the refurbished, rather than new. Cheaper prices and you still get the Apple Care. Plus, I haven't had a Mac crash on me yet! :D

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks for the info but

i just found this site
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone
it talks about apple and when the products are going to be updated
it says

Product MacBook Pro
Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle
Last Release April 13, 2010
Days Since Update 189 (Avg = 208)

any ideas when theyre going to upgrade it bc if its about to be upgraded the site says

Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon

but the only thing about that you cant go off the average update bc the one thats about to be updated is going on day 500 when the average is 255

i keep looking at articles regarding the press conference tomorrow and it only talks about the iphone, ipod and the macbook air not the pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13" (early 2015) Mojave
Life is too short, get a refurb MBP now and enjoy it while waiting for an update.

We have had ours almost six weeks now, lots more fun than waiting "mac-less" :)

JR/NR

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Buy what you need when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs long after a new model is released. With Apple as secretive as they are, it's almost impossible to know if there is an impending upgrade. As with most technology, if you're always waiting for the "next big thing" on the horizon, you'll wait forever.

OP
T
Reaction score
its called back to the mac? so you know they're up to something with them right? haha

Reaction score
I bought the $1200 13 Inch MBP. It's got the 2.4 GHz Processor and the 4GB RAM, and it was such a great buy that I've decided I'll probably never own a PC ever again. I don't run BootCamp on it, but I've read reports that it runs perfectly, if you wanted to run a Windows-based OS from your MBP. It's a really, really great investment, and I'm really happy with my purchase, so I'm sure you would be, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I just watched the new Apple keynote.
And my recomendation would be:
1. If you need a good graphics card get the 15 inch MBP.
2. If you're doing hard video editing (read as in Final Cut Pro) or playing heavy 3D games get the white Macbook. Yes. I think it's a better deal then the new Macbook Airs. For the $999 you get a bigger screen and a super drive and bigger Hard Drive then the 11 inch Air. Sure it's less pixels and not SSD. But to me unless you are crazy over ultra thin-ness go for the white Macbook.

I have used the white macbook a lot. Someone I know owns one. And does every basic task very well. it even handles everything in ilife even imovie very well. So if you want a basic portable Mac that does almost everything I can't go past the white Macbook. Just upgrade the RAM in it to 4GB from the 3rd party vendor of your choice and you are set to go.

Last note. I'm not a fan of 5400rpm Hard Drives. I much prefer the 7200rpm ones. But when I used the white Macbook for all the basic tasks I did not feel any noticeable slow down from the Hard Drive. Personally it's up to you. But I'd at least take a look at the white Macbook.

OP
T
Reaction score
anyone know how much faster a 2.66 GHz processor is than a 2.53?
both are core duo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You could always get the Mac of your choice and then run bootcamp + Windows to run your engineering software. >_>"

tisk tisk...someone didn't finish reading.

The 13" with either the 2.4 or 2.66 are actually good processors. I have the 2.4 on my macbook pro 15" and the only thing that it slows down on is huge image files on gimp/PS. If you like a model from the refurb list, I would recommend it, but due know that they might be previously returned macs. Also, if you have to return a refurb, they ask you to mail it back. If there is a clear problem with though, they will exchange computers for you at the store(only for the actual MBP, nothing else like the box/cables/etc). That's what happened to mine.

My final recommendation is this though: The new mbp13's are due a new processor soon. I would hold off a bit if you are not in desperate need.

Reaction score
I too am thinking of buying a MBP 13 inch. Mainly because i want the back lit key board. I use an iBook at the moment and am not able to up grade from 10.4.11 as my G4 processor is not compatible with 10.5 up. I have been 100% happy with my iBook and would like to keep hold But its five years old and the lid is starting to crack at the hinge (my niece was a bit rough with it).

Now, does the MBP come with Appleworks as my iBook did i didn't need to buy any other software to do my word processing. This is not clear in the tech spec.

Reliability of the MBP? i have heard from friend that the MBP's with Intel processor's are not as reliable as the old rock solid G4 processor's that feature in the iBook and early macs. What are your views on this?

C

chas_m

Reliability of the MBP? i have heard from friend that the MBP's with Intel processor's are not as reliable as the old rock solid G4 processor's that feature in the iBook and early macs. What are your views on this?

Here is my view on that statement:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA your friend is on crack.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I too am thinking of buying a MBP 13 inch. Mainly because i want the back lit key board. I use an iBook at the moment and am not able to up grade from 10.4.11 as my G4 processor is not compatible with 10.5 up. I have been 100% happy with my iBook and would like to keep hold But its five years old and the lid is starting to crack at the hinge (my niece was a bit rough with it).

Now, does the MBP come with Appleworks as my iBook did i didn't need to buy any other software to do my word processing. This is not clear in the tech spec.

Appleworks has been discontinued (actually for quite a long time now) and essentially replaced by iWork, which will cost you another $70. Alternatively, you can download OpenOffice.org or a number of other freeware word processors.

Processors are solid state technology. Given reliable cooling, they are not prone to failure as they have no moving parts. To be quite honest, this statement smacks of ignorance or misunderstanding. Reliability is really not of concern -- now as always, Apple is ranked highest amongst all other manufacturers for reliability.

Reaction score
There actually were some issues with the iBook logic boards, although none were caused by the processor itself. Most Macs have been rock solid although components do break occasionally--my iBook G4 suffered from a failing hard drive (Toshiba branded) and a bad optical drive. However, it was the exception to the rule. I have several Macs, some over 20 years old, still running fine without ever having to be repaired. Apple is also good about covering problems, be it reliability or otherwise, with repair programs. There was a battery exchange program for iBook owners a few years back, the iPhone 4 case was given away this year, PowerBooks with known case issues had an extended warranty period back in the late 1990s, and owners of Mac SEs with loud fans could swap it at a dealer.

You'll have to hunt for AppleWorks 6. Sometimes a NOS copy will show up on eBay or Amazon. iWork is superior unless you count the lack of a real drawing and painting module. If you use either, by all means look for AW6 if the tools in Pages don't suit you.

Apple tends to speedbump Macs unexpectedly. In recent times, this has been once or twice a year, usually some time after the previous speedbump or introduction. The company learned its lesson from 1993, when quickly-introduced new models made the heavily-hyped Mac IIvx obsolete in a short period of time. (Old-timers still say they've been "IIvx-ed" whenever something similar happens these days, or if they buy a new model the week before Apple offers a speedbump). In general, if you know there's a keynote or big event coming up, it's best to hold off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.