Connect a NAS drive to Time Capsule? HELP!!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Time Capsule for backing up my Mac Book Pro, and to use as my wireless router. I also have a Western Digital My Book NAS drive that I want to connect to the Time Capsule via an ethernet cable.

I want to use this NAS drive just for extra storage, not for backing up with Time Machine or anything like that... and I already know that I can easily plug a USB drive into Time Capsule.

The problem I am having is that according to the instructions with my NAS drive, once the NAS is plugged into the router (ie Time Capsule) via ethernet, it is suppose to show up in my Finder (under 'Shared') and then I can begin to configure it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that easy. I don't have anything showing up in the Finder at all (other then the Time Capsule Data drive). I have tried the usual restarting my computer, router etc... but nothing I do seems to help.

I don't know all that much about networks, but I am wondering if there is something I need to set up in the Airport Utility to be able to see the drive?

Any feedback, guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Hi

I have the exact same question! Have you managed to find anything out?

thank you :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Apel,
I just replied to your pm... I totally forgot that I posted this question!

I did find a solution. The problem for me was that the drive must have come with a faulty ethernet cable. I tried one of my own cables, held the power button on the back of the drive for a few seconds to shut the drive off completely (it takes about a minute or so to turn off!), then held the button again for a couple of seconds and turned it back on. The drive then appeared in my Finder Sidebar under "Shared" ... kind of like magic.

I did contact the Western Digital support people before trying a different cable, but they were not much help. They basically told me that they don't really support Macs and to try a "regular" router (Maybe I just had a non-Mac friendly support person??).

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, I guess it would depend on if you also had a bad ethernet cable, but it might be worth a try.

Another thing you could try would be to connect to your NAS drive through a web browser, if you can figure out what ip address your drive is using. This would at least let you know if the drive is actually connecting to your network or not. Just type the ip of your drive into safari or whatever web browser you use, and if the drive is connected to your network properly, you should see a login panel (with a western digital logo and all that jazz). If you can't connect to it through the web browser, then it could very well be a bad cable.

I don't really know that much about networking, but am slowly learning! I hope this helps, good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.