iPhone 4 camera is blurry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
So...here's the scoop....my iPhone 4, with the latest version of iOS installed, everything upgraded, etc., and not jailbroken, takes rotten pictures about 99.44% of the time...very blurry. My wife's iPhone (same specs, and we both got ours the exact same night) takes absolutely perfect photos.

Now...I did a Google search on this problem and found that the solution is to restore the iPhone to its factory settings. I tried that, no improvement. I then restored my backup, same problem. A couple of things:

1) The front-facing camera is fine, takes good pictures...but I want the higher-res rear-facing camera to work!!

2) The protective film is OFF both sides of the phone.

3) And I just now realized this...when I activate the camera, the view is extremely sharp for half a second, then it gets blurry. If I futz with the zoom, same thing happens -- it's sharp for a half-second, then goes blurry again. Same thing happens when I toggle between video and still modes.

The results I found with Google say that if the factory reset doesn't fix the camera, it's a hardware problem; but I find it hard to believe I'm having a hardware problem if the camera is actually perfectly focused at first but then falls out of focus...

Thoughts???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
A friend of mine had this exact same issue. Apple replaced the phone for free. Take it back to them and see what happens.

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
...which is exactly what I did last night; thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, the guy took one look at what the camera is doing and immediately concluded there was a hardware problem; he said the giveaway is that the FRONT-facing camera was fine, otherwise it probably would have been a software issue.

Walked out with a replacement iPhone that takes perfect pictures. :) Restored my backup and it's a seamless transition. Life can be good sometimes. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
...which is exactly what i did last night; thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, the guy took one look at what the camera is doing and immediately concluded there was a hardware problem; he said the giveaway is that the front-facing camera was fine, otherwise it probably would have been a software issue.

Walked out with a replacement iphone that takes perfect pictures. :) restored my backup and it's a seamless transition. Life can be good sometimes. :)

Excellent!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.