A virus file.

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. This is Kit. Newbie here. Hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong forum.

I'm suspecting that I have a virus file in my Mac. It's called jargon.vbs. I'm certain it's a pc virus since it's not affecting my mac performance but I am really eager to delete it. However, my antivirus program iAntiVirus isn't able to detect it. What should I do to delete it? And do I need to reformat my external hard drive to get rid of this virus in there (I backed up my mac several times since August so I'm pretty sure the virus is there as well).

Thanks for all your help in advance! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are no Mac OS X viruses so get rid of that AV software which will bloat and slow down your Mac. Use Spotlight to see if you have that file. Windows viruses cannot operate on the Unix operating system. Also go into your browser preferences and Empty Cache.

OP
K
Reaction score
There are no Mac OS X viruses so get rid of that AV software which will bloat and slow down your Mac. Use Spotlight to see if you have that file. Windows viruses cannot operate on the Unix operating system. Also go into your browser preferences and Empty Cache.

Thanks for the help. Got rid of the AV software. Also deleted all my browser preferences & cache. I used Spotlight, and apparently it's not in my OS X. Can it be invisible though? Because I don't understand how there would be a jargon.vbs in my micro-sd memory card if my mac wasn't affected. My memory card was used for my cell phone, and since I don't have internet service for my phone, the only way it was possible for the file to get in there would be via Bluetooth or simple file transfer. I'm not using the memory card anymore because it's basically useless. I cannot delete/add files in/to that card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry not a user of memory cards as to me they seem to be IT that does fail. Had you used the card with a PC at all? If you have access to a PC you can debug the card using this method whilst attached to the PC:-

http://www.techiexplorer.com/2009/10/how-to-remove-jargon-vbs.html

Have you tried deleting files to Trash, and whilst it is still connected, empty the Trash? This applies to both PC's and Macs. Removing the card prior to emptying the Trash simply stores it back on the card.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry not a user of memory cards as to me they seem to be IT that does fail. Had you used the card with a PC at all? If you have access to a PC you can debug the card using this method whilst attached to the PC:-

How to remove JARGON.VBS - Techie Xplorer

Have you tried deleting files to Trash, and whilst it is still connected, empty the Trash? This applies to both PC's and Macs. Removing the card prior to emptying the Trash simply stores it back on the card.

No, I hadn't. It was working fine for a long time too until I noticed that .vbs file in the card. And I would try debuging it later. Hopefully it would work. And yes, I always empty the trash before ejecting usb/card, etc.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also tried erasing the mirco-sd disk using Disk Utility several times but it didn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.