How To: Install Windows on a Partition (Without BootCamping, VM, OR Paraells

Reaction score
I've heard of people Partioning windows on their macs without using a Virtual Machine or BootCamp... How could this be Done?

I was told that if I use Bootcamp my Programs may still not be as succesful as I want them to be through windows (Fruity Loops AudiO Production)

Reaction score
I haven't tried this myself but what would make sense would be:

1. Locate the Disk Utility in Utilities
2. Create a new partition on your disk and format it in MS-DOS(FAT)
3. Insert the windows installation cd
4. Reset your mac holding down the c key

You can try that, if no luck then you can just merge your partition back and try something else

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not trying to be mean or sarcastic here, but do you really know what Bootcamp is?

Bootcamp is NOT a VM. Bootcamp is a Partitioning and installation tool and later provides drivers for Windows. Once Windows is installed and you boot into Windows, Bootcamp nor OSX is not involved. You are booted directly into Windows and it will work exactly the same as if you Fdisked the whole drive and installed just Windows. There will be no difference except you will never have OSX there.

A Mac without OSX is not a Mac and to me an overpriced Windows machine. Don't ever purchase Mac hardware just to use Windows alone. The defeats the purpose of buying a Mac.

Parallels and other applications that run Windows INSIDE of OSX in a VM are different and in many cases, windows will be slower.

OP
C
Reaction score

You can try that, if no luck then you can just merge your partition back and try something else

Thanks for this, it worked on install. But I Can't get the following to work:

- Eject button for CD Drive (If this is Permanent I can buy an External Drive)
- Wireless / Ethernet Adapters not working

Am I missing something?

How can I install the drivers for this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Uhh..the BootCamp drivers should get Windows to FULLY support the Mac hardware..I guess you completely missed or chose to ignore dtravis7's post huh?

Regards

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Am I missing something?

Yep, the same way you would if you had used BootCamp Assistant to create the partition, by inserting the OS X disc while booted into Windows to install the drivers for your hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

That's basically what BootCamp does but in a more user friendly way. As dtravis7 has implied I think you guys might not fully understand what BootCamp actually is used for. :)

It prepares your Mac to install Windows natively. It's not an application like Parallels that allows a user to run Windows at the same time as your Mac OS X.

Am I missing something?

As you have guessed you need to install the drivers to get all this working. BootCamp would have asked you for this and made it easy to install. The drivers are on your Mac OS X disc that came with your Mac but I don't know if you can install it without the help of BootCamp. There is probably a way but I'm sorry to say that I don't know it because I've never heard of this problem before. Most people just use BootCamp.

I believe your only choices are to either start over using BootCamp or search the internet and see if there is a way to install the Windows drivers from your OS X disc without the use of BootCamp.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would highly recommend you read this guide before you go any further. It is clear that you don't have a solid understanding of the various ways of running Windows and the pros and cons of each. The guide will clarify things for you and potentially save you hours of time and perhaps even data loss.

OP
C
Reaction score
I would highly recommend you read this guide before you go any further. It is clear that you don't have a solid understanding of the various ways of running Windows and the pros and cons of each. The guide will clarify things for you and potentially save you hours of time and perhaps even data loss.

Guess I needed "Boot Camp" after all, the MAC OSX Install cd installed bootcamp and loaded all the NOW working drivers into windows for me

Reaction score
That's basically what BootCamp does but in a more user friendly way. As dtravis7 has implied I think you guys might not fully understand what BootCamp actually is used for. :)

Yeah well he wanted to install win without Boot Camp so I told him how to :)

Am I missing something?

Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 for Windows 64 bit - Win 64 bit
Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 for Windows 32 bit - Win 32 bit

Try installing one of these (depending on which windows version you have), hopefully it'll help.

Reaction score
Installing Without Bootcamp

I have a macbook air, I was trying to put the Windows 8 consumer preview onto it, but I don't have a disk drive. So, I used the windows 7 USB tool to make a bootable SD card (which was difficult because my computer didn't have a program called Bootsect to make the SD bootable and Microsoft doesn't make it easy to track down). Afterwards, I installed rEFIt onto my macbook air and easily booted into the SD install disk. I was incredibly happy because I had been trying all day and have been getting an error message... I thought I had the golden SD card and was finally able to finish this project. But... No. If you get the installation screen, you will find out that Windows will not run on a GPT, which is the Guide Partition that comes installed, your Macintosh HD. If you partition you hard drive without bootcamp, which is a whole other process because I had to enter single user mode to fix a problem I never knew existed, the new new partition is also GPT. And the only way to install windows is on a MBP (or something meaning master boot). I found a guide to change the Macintosh HD to MBP, but it involved whipping everything off my Mac OSX portion and starting over, and then I would be still questionable if OSX will run on MPB, because at that point, you have your self a PC an your mac is dead... So, unless I am mistaken (and I hope you can tell me how to fix this), Bootcamp does some kind of magical process which allows the MBP to co exist with the GPT or something... I WISH I HAD A DISK DRIVE. So, what am I doing wrong, or will I have to buy a $100 disk drive. :[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.