Keeping the external HD on standby?

Reaction score
I have a WD MyBook (in Raid 1 configuration) from my MacBookPro.
After a period of inactivity, it clicks off into a standby mode: just as I expect and want it to do.
However, after every couple of minutes in standby, and with no request from me, it fires up again.... and then down...... etc.
I am unclear if it is just the MBP needing to check that the HD is still there, and demanding a response from it, or the HD itself going through some routine.
Or some application doing the 'prodding'?
All this unnecessary up-ing and down-ing must be shortening the HD's life, mustn't it??
How do I get it to stay asleep until I actually want to access it??
Many thanks!

Reaction score
It is happening with my new iMac too.
I put it to sleep, it wakes ups from nothing after a couple hours, them sleeps again. Would like to know the reason for this insomnia. I also have 2 external drives in this machine.:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Most mac computers do a routine and constant systems check, i.e battery health (which you can see by holding alt and click the battery status), it's good in a way for your computer but if I were you i'd keep your HDD unplugged until you need it. As for IceB i'd get your iMac checked over

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.