Major boot camp issue.

Reaction score
I installed XP pro, but when it tires to boot, it just runs an endless loop of trying to install it. I gave up, and tried to go back to OS X. But, when I hold down the option key on startup, all I see is grey screen and nothing else. Do I have to reinstall OS X?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

You may have overwritten your OS X partition but before doing anything else, let's try a PRAM / NVRAM reset to see if that works. LINK If that doesn't work to get your MacIntosh HD startup disk to show up when you hold down the Option key, post back and we'll go from there.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, did that key combo, but all that comes up is a flashing folder icon on a white screen with a "?" in the middle of the folder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. It looks like your MacIntosh HD partition might have been accidentally overwritten when installing Windows. Let's do one more test before deciding to reinstall.

Boot your machine with the original install DVD. When the install starts, click on the top menu "Utilities" and select "Disk Utility". Highlight your hard drive on the left side. Click on the partition tab. What do you see? You should see two partitions: MacIntosh HD and Boot Camp. Let us know.

OP
C
Reaction score
Didn't see anything at all in the utility actually. I figured I must have really jacked up something. I just re-installed OS X, not a big deal as I can recover 90% of what I lost but thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.