• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

White iPhone 4 Delays Claimed to Be Related to Color Matching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Too bad I don't know anyone at Apple, Can you imagine an entire warehouse full of white iPhones that will never make it to the shelf?

EDIT: After a little thinking this over I can't imagine anyone just being able to give out iPhones at Apple regardless of who it's for.
were talking about Apple, A company well known for fiercely guarding it's products,secrets,prototypes...etc
I'm starting to find it very hard to believe, Apple employees are even able to get these out off Apple property.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
well, my black home button doesn't really match the black screen. The button is darker than the surrounding screen. It's REALLY noticeable if you shine an LED light on it.

Do you think I care?
no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
well, my black home button doesn't really match the black screen. The button is darker than the surrounding screen. It's REALLY noticeable if you shine an LED light on it.

Do you think I care?
no.

That's the difference between white and black. Put two slightly differing whites side by side that normally both appear 'white,' and suddenly one looks to have a hint of brown, or green, or yellow. Two blacks side by side that are slightly different look just like that - two slightly different blacks.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Do you think I care?
no.

And that's why you'll never work at Apple HQ. To the folk at Cupertino everything must be perfect. Or as close to perfect as they can get. An attention to detail that is borderline anal and compulsive. But I guess it brings out the best in their products I guess.

And maybe the button is darker for a reason so it stands out as a button. If it was the exact shade of black it'd be harder to see the button itself.

I'm not having a go at you. I'm just saying Apple have their standards and it's what makes them the best in the business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
You would think instead of trying to match the glass to the home button, why not change the home button to match the glass colour?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If they're trying to get the white of a plastic to match consistently with the glass, they'll be the first company on the globe to do so and likely have yet another patent they'll be able to sell.

This is why we deal with dye lot issues in the construction industry with everything from one gallon of paint to the next, carpet, wallcoverings, etc. Wallcoverings and carpet will change in color not only from one run to the next, but from the beginning of a run to the end of the run. Not only that, they will actually be different from one side to the other. They don't change enough to be able to see it while looking at a single piece. But, if you go to putting opposite edges together, well you'll see it.

With commercial wallcoverings, when you cut from a single roll, typically you have to reverse every other sheet in order to keep the right side of a strip next to the right side of the next strip and the left next to the left. This variation can be quite drastic, but can't even be seen by us humans until the two opposing sides are put up next to each other.

The dyes and tints used to create all these colors weigh varying amounts and the problem is in keeping them all suspended without any settling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
And that's why you'll never work at Apple HQ.
Yeah, that's why everything they put out is just perfect...note sarcasm...

To the folk at Cupertino everything must be perfect. Or as close to perfect as they can get. An attention to detail that is borderline anal and compulsive. But I guess it brings out the best in their products I guess.

And maybe the button is darker for a reason so it stands out as a button. If it was the exact shade of black it'd be harder to see the button itself.

I'm not having a go at you. I'm just saying Apple have their standards and it's what makes them the best in the business.

I think you guys completely missed the point. If the difference is so obvious on the current black iphone4, and they seem to be so anal about perfecting the white color, why didn't they correct the black? Because CLEARLY they don't "match" as the article stated was the problem for the white one. Get it?

Also, I would really like to know why they are really having such a real hard time when there are 3rd party companies pulling out a perfect match through glass. I have a hard time believing it's just due to the color matching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yeah, that's why everything they put out is just perfect...note sarcasm...

I think you guys completely missed the point. If the difference is so obvious on the current black iphone4, and they seem to be so anal about perfecting the white color, why didn't they correct the black? Because CLEARLY they don't "match" as the article stated was the problem for the white one. Get it?

Also, I would really like to know why they are really having such a real hard time when there are 3rd party companies pulling out a perfect match through glass. I have a hard time believing it's just due to the color matching.

When it gets released with a color variation, like your iPhone, it's a "feature" and not a defect. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Ever think at times Apple lets leak what they want us to know. And there's more information under the hood, hidden they don't want us to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Ever think at times Apple lets leak what they want us to know. And there's more information under the hood, hidden they don't want us to know.

I don't know, I really think Steve Jobs takes the whole secrecy thing very seriously, But then again what do I know...lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.