Battery Replacement for iBook G4, Piping hot wire...

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this board. Looks awesome.

I was just curious if anyone else had to replace their battery on their iBook G4.

I was in the Apple store and the guy was like "we never had anyone send theirs back". Well, mine had to be returned.

I have to say that Apple was FAST about sending me a new one; I returned mine to them.

I do have a questions for you guys: does the white box in the middle of your power cord get really hot? I downloaded a widget that measures the temp of the CPU and mine is running at about 120-145'F. Is that way too hot or what? I even have the back elevated on a stand to give good air flow.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Trapzilla2002

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
middle of the powercord?
you mean the end?
and haha a widget isnt going to tell you how hot the adapter is....the adapter is suppose to get really fricking hot so dont worry about it

OP
T
Reaction score

thanks for the feedback, but i don't think i was explaining myself correctly.

TOPIC 1: on my power cord, there is the plug for the wall outlet, the plug to go into the side of the iBook and then thre is a white box that probably houses some sort of capacitor or something. THAT is what gets hot as HEYL.

TOPIC 2: there is a widget that says it tells the temperature of only the "CPU" itself. it seems like the bottom of my computer is wickedly hot still (even after i switched to the new battery). here is the link:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/minicpuheat.html

so i have one hotspot on the power cord and another on the bottom of the iBook.

thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Yes the adapter is supposed toget hot, thats why they keep it on a 3 foot cord from the comp. I had a widget telling me the temp of my mac, and they do get hot. Not really a big deal. It all depends on what programs you are running. The more memory intensive programs running the hotter the machine gets. I found that the temp widget alone raised my systems temp about 5 degrees so I took the temp widget off and my system is a lot cooler. All comps get hot, just with the mac's silent fan it gets a little scarier. At least with a wondows you can tell the fan works, lol. I do love my nice quiet mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
oh i see yeah thats really weird...i have no idea....try buying another adapter...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I wouldn't worry too much about the adapter... Both mine get extremely hot at times and I have never had any trouble with them. They actually tend to run hotter at my office than at home... So it may have more to do with your power source there. As far as the iBook heat itself... That doesn't sound too unusually high to me. Are you running alot of apps?

Also is your CPU energy setting on Automatic or Highest?

OP
T
Reaction score
well, i had like 17 widgets running at once, but i narrowed it down to 6 most-used ones.

besides that, i just have say, 2 other apps running. well, i just will make sure i don't leave that part of the power cord on the carpet when i am charging it. with my luck...well, you know how it goes.

Signed, Shlep-rock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wait - you DO keep your iBook in the freezer don't you????

haha - don't worry, all of Apple's 'books are currently fairly hot, go and touch the bottom of a 15" Powerbook someday!

Power adapter is also normal...

Don't let it bother you, just don't use it on your lap if you plan on having kids...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.