Removable Hard-disk not responding to commands on MacBook

Reaction score
Hey,

I was at a friend's house, so he sent me some files by his removable and I transferred them onto my MacBook. (around 90GB)

When I got home I wanted to throw the files onto my own removable disk, I was unable to do so. Unable to move, delete, cut, or even copy files from the removable disk from my Mac. I could only read.

I asked a friend, and he told me I had to format my removable disk from my Mac so I will be able to use it properly. (He had the same problem)

My question is, do I have another way around?

Thanks,
Cyril

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am a little confused here. You say you want to copy files "onto" a disk...

When I got home I wanted to throw the files onto my own removable disk, I was unable to do so.

Then you say you want to take files "from" the disk...

Unable to move, delete, cut, or even copy files from the removable disk from my Mac. I could only read.

Are you trying to copy files onto it or from it?
Is this your disk or still your friends disk?

Is this removable disk an external hard drive, a flash drive???
What format is the disk... FAT32, NTFS???
What size are the files you're attempting to move?
Where are the files now - on your Mac or on the external?

OP
ceboustani
Reaction score
Am a little confused here. You say you want to copy files "onto" a disk...

Then you say you want to take files "from" the disk...

Are you trying to copy files onto it or from it?
Is this your disk or still your friends disk?

Is this removable disk an external hard drive, a flash drive???
What format is the disk... FAT32, NTFS???
What size are the files you're attempting to move?
Where are the files now - on your Mac or on the external?

OK, let me clear things up for you.
I received the files from my friend's HD, I copied them onto my Mac.
Now when I got home I couldn't copy them from my Mac onto my RHD.

It's a NTFS external Hard Drive,
The files i'm trying to move are around 90GB of size,
The files are still on my Mac, and I want to copy them on my HD.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Then yes, you'll need to either format the drive to HFS or FAT32 which will of course erase everything on the drive.

Or, you need to enable OS X to write to NTFS. I recommend Paragon's NTFS for Mac OS X. They've had it on sale lately at half price - $20 - worth it imho. A quick google will take you right to it.

(btw, when someone asks for file size, it means individual file size or the range of individual file sizes, not the total amount of all the files. In this case, the reason is that FAT32 is incapable of storing single files larger than 4GB in size.)

OP
ceboustani
Reaction score
Then yes, you'll need to either format the drive to HFS or FAT32 which will of course erase everything on the drive.

Or, you need to enable OS X to write to NTFS. I recommend Paragon's NTFS for Mac OS X. They've had it on sale lately at half price - $20 - worth it imho. A quick google will take you right to it.

(btw, when someone asks for file size, it means individual file size or the range of individual file sizes, not the total amount of all the files. In this case, the reason is that FAT32 is incapable of storing single files larger than 4GB in size.)

Oh okay,
Thanks for your help, I guess I'll have a look at the look at it.

Cyril

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.