DMG files launch Disk Utility

Reaction score
This is probably a question that can be quickly answered, but I can't find any information about this even with my Google-Fu.

Before today, whenever I would double-click a .dmg file, it would automatically mount to the desktop. Now, when I double-click them, instead they open Disk Utility (from Utilities) and I have to mount them manually.

Any idea why this happened? How do I get it back to the default setting where they automatically mount without opening Disk Utility?

Thank you!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX? It might help someone help you.

This should work for you no matter which OSX you are running. Find a DMG, Right click (Control-Click if you have no right click) and on Get Info. Look toward the bottom of that window. You should see Open with. I will bet yours says Disk Utility. Click the clicker and change that to DiskImageMounter. Also click the Change All button below that.

Let us know if that solves is. Somehow it's been changed to open with Disk Utility when a DMG is clicked on instead of the Disk Image Mounter. Don't forget the Change All button.

Below is how it should look.

dm.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
I have the same problem with my 10.4 and it says < no mounting platform>, i know im close, just cannot open dmg since i did disc install.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you getting that error after changing the settings so that DMGs open with DiskImageMounter?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Could be that the dmg is corrupt. Try re-downloading it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
i've tried it with firefox and many other things also i tried taking firewall off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.