Lombard - DEAD

C

catchawave

Well, thats the LAST time I ever buy anything off ebay or used!! My Lombard is dead. No power. I took it into the repair place and they tried everything til the guy said, "it looks to be more serious and I'd have to look at it more closely." I decided not to because it would cost me 60.00 just to have them look at it.
I'm so pissed off at the thing anyway - I don't want to deal with it any longer.
Too bad I poured in extra cash and put in all that extra memory!!
I would like to stick it on ebay (I never said I wouldn't sell anything, I just won't buy anything used) and sell it for parts and the memory.
The problem is... there is my information on it - my password etc. Since it has no power, how can I sell it without anyone getting that info? Take out the hard drive??
I have no clue! That's why, when I recover from this fiasco, and get enough money put together, I'll buy a new one.

OP
F

falltime

catchawave said:
Well, thats the LAST time I ever buy anything off ebay or used!! My Lombard is dead. No power. I took it into the repair place and they tried everything til the guy said, "it looks to be more serious and I'd have to look at it more closely." I decided not to because it would cost me 60.00 just to have them look at it.
I'm so pissed off at the thing anyway - I don't want to deal with it any longer.
Too bad I poured in extra cash and put in all that extra memory!!
I would like to stick it on ebay (I never said I wouldn't sell anything, I just won't buy anything used) and sell it for parts and the memory.
The problem is... there is my information on it - my password etc. Since it has no power, how can I sell it without anyone getting that info? Take out the hard drive??
I have no clue! That's why, when I recover from this fiasco, and get enough money put together, I'll buy a new one.

If you're selling it for parts anyway, you're going to have to take out the hard drive regardless. Just don't sell it... Or sell it, but take the data off first. You can buy a 2.5'' external enclosure for less than $20 - they use a USB2.0 interface so you can hook it up to any computer you wish.

OP
C

catchawave

falltime said:
If you're selling it for parts anyway, you're going to have to take out the hard drive regardless. Just don't sell it... Or sell it, but take the data off first. You can buy a 2.5'' external enclosure for less than $20 - they use a USB2.0 interface so you can hook it up to any computer you wish.

I guess I will just take it out and sell without. I don't want to dink around with this thing anymore. If the thing goes without the HD, what about mail? Will they be able to access anything at all if the HD is gone?
How much do you think I can get for it without a hard drive?? It has brand new memory chips - 384MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
catchawave said:
If the thing goes without the HD, what about mail? Will they be able to access anything at all if the HD is gone?
No, unless they buy or use their own HD.

OP
C

catchawave

So, if they buy their own hard drive and get the thing running again, they can still access my stuff on the machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
catchawave said:
So, if they buy their own hard drive and get the thing running again, they can still access my stuff on the machine?
no all your info is on YOUR HD. If they install theirs it will not have your info on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.