Help with a decision on a MacBook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
So, I am trying to decide. I am contemplating getting a MacBook, or MacBook Pro. I will be using it for mostly Music, running live loops, recording, and as my everyday computer depending on if I sell my PC to get one. I will also likely be using the mac for video editing, and large recording software, like, yes, Pro Tools.

I would also like to know if I should get 2GB of RAM or 4GB of RAM. This has been my biggest issue. Is the 4GB of RAM worth it? I mean, I think it would be for Pro Tools, but I've never used a Mac for stuff like that.

Thanks to everyone who helps me out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Are you buying from Apple directly? I don't think the RAM price is worth it from them. Go look at
RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
or
MacBook, MacBook Pro Memory, Hard Drive Upgrades. Free Installation Videos and Guide online make it easy for anyone! Options for up to 8GB of RAM, 1TB HD, 480GB SSD
I just bought 8GB from OWC - nuram - for $175 delievered - been working great. It is $400 at the Apple Store. Plus it looks like the unibodies can upgrade to 8GB - which is $157 for the nuram at OWC.
Apple MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz 2.26GHz Memory up to 8 GB of Ram | Hard Drive Upgrade and Video Installation Guide

Truthfully 4GB was good for just about everything except when I was running a virtual machine in Parallels. With Parallels running I was getting about 4GB of swap with 4GB of RAM. After upgrading I hardly get any swap. When only on the Mac I could run Photoshop, Premiere, several web browsers, MacJournal, Picassa (and various other small programs) - comfortably. Some of the larger video editing/photo editing tasks did start pushing me into Swap. I would say if you are only doing audio 2GB may be OK, if you start getting into HD video then you may want to consider more.

A Macbook or Macbook Pro is as you said, pretty much a choice between an aluminum case and 4GB or 2GB and a white case. If you don't care about Aluminum - get the Macbook - and get 8GB of RAM from OWC for $157 - that would be $1157 - which is less than the $1600 they would charge you to get 8GB inside a MBP 13" - and still cheaper that the $1200 they charge for the 4GB and aluminum case. Installing RAM is pretty easy.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1651

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
Are you buying from Apple directly? I don't think the RAM price is worth it from them. Go look at
RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
or.....

Thanks, yeah I am going to be using HD editing. But, I noticed on that site to get RAM, it says do not exceed manufacturer supported memory. The supported memory on a macbook is, from http://store.apple.com/us-k12/confi..., I think I might go with the normal Macbook.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, should I get Apple Care? I get a student's discount.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The maximum amount of memory you can put in that MacBook is 8 GB according to Mactracker. Apple recommends 4 GB. But since the machine has only two memory slots, you can either use 2 x 2 GB modules or 2 x 4 GB modules. 10 GB is no way. And, if you can get Apple care at a good discount, it may be worth it. That's up to you. Apple care is like insurance, you may never have to use it but if something major does go wrong after the first year, it's nice to have. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks, yeah I am going to be using HD editing. But, I noticed on that site to get RAM, it says do not exceed manufacturer supported memory. The supported memory on a macbook is, from http://store.apple.com/us-k12/confi... the RAM and HD at later date if the need be.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The maximum amount of memory you can put in that MacBook is 8 GB according to Mactracker. Apple recommends 4 GB. But since the machine has only two memory slots, you can either use 2 x 2 GB modules or 2 x 4 GB modules. 10 GB is no way. And, if you can get Apple care at a good discount, it may be worth it. That's up to you. Apple care is like insurance, you may never have to use it but if something major does go wrong after the first year, it's nice to have. :)

Yeah, I can get Apple care for $180. I am thinking of getting your average macBook, 13.3" display, 2.4GHz, 2GB ram, and upgrading later. Thanks bro

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new Macbook supports up to 8GB RAM., as does the 13" Macbook Pro.
So, the max you can go is 2x 4GB sticks.

Exceeding the limit won't do any harm, but is a waist of money, as the machine can only utilise as much as it can.

I think AppleCare is a good idea, especially when you move onto the more expensive Macs.

Personally, I would be going as far up the chain as you can afford.... ie 15" MBP with the fastest processor and best graphics chips that you can afford, and upgrade the RAM and HD at later date if the need be.

Yeah, I don't know my budget yet. I am getting it for Christmas, but I am putting my own money to it as well. I will have almost $350 to $600 by then and my parents are going to help out if they can. So I'll go with the Basics if I must and then upgrade. I am thinking of selling my PC, it has 4GB RAM, 1.6GHz Solo Processor, 1 and a half years old, and a 500GB Hard Drive. I don't know what I could get for that, I was thinking $400?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Don't forget the pro has a better quality display - if you're doing video editing that might be a consideration. I'd recommend going into an apple store to have a look at the two screens side by side.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't forget the pro has a better quality display - if you're doing video editing that might be a consideration. I'd recommend going into an apple store to have a look at the two screens side by side.

Yeah... But there aren't any Apple stores around here. Right now, I'm on like an $850 budget, trying to make some more money. :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.