My house with my macbook was robbed...looking to buy a desktop, need advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5"iMac 3.06GhZ Core i3, 500GB, 4GB DDR3, 256 MB graphics GDDR3, OSX10.6.8, iPhone4G 16GB Bl. 4.01
Okay so my house was robbed last weekend, and it included my 13" MacBook, Xbox 360 w/ 60 GB HD, Wireless Headset, 2 16 GB USB Drives, 8 Games, Network Adapter, my iPhone 3G, a 32" LCD HDTV Wallet with cash, and a few other things.

We made an insurance claim, and I should be receiving the money today or tomorrow.

I don't have to replace everything, so I figure I can spend a little more on stuff that I would rather have had than what I did have.

So basically we are getting a check for $2414.13 and 380 goes to my grandfather (he bought me a new iPhone 4G and had a camera stolen), which leaves me with about $2,034. I plan to replace my 360, already upgraded my iphone 3g to 4g (and btw, I love the 4g, it is so much faster), and get a new Mac. Right now I am on a crappy PC that's power supply is fried, so it shuts off randomly by itself.

After I buy my new 360 (which I am lucky on that part because I will be able to buy the new 250GB HD with built in Network adapter one) and I plan to buy Halo Reach and Preorder Fallout New Vegas, that's $420 plus tax, which leaves me with about 1600 left, maybe a little less.

So then comes my new Mac. I have only owned Mac laptops in the past (Pro and Regular MacBook), and I finally want a desktop.

My question to you guys is should I buy an iMac (which is where I am leaning) for 1199 plus tax (probably would by mobile me as well), or go the cheaper route and get a mac mini with a monitor? I don't play a lot of games.

Mainly I use my computer to download stuff, watch movies, surf the web, photoshop, etc. I don't play games on it, so I don't need tons of speed. But the standard 21.5" iMac seems great, 4GB RAM 3.06 GhZ Core i3 processor, 500 GB HD. I could also buy a refurbed 27inch with 4GB ram. 1TB HD space, 2.66 GhZ Quad Core 27" for about 1550 (but that seems like I am pushing my financial situation, even though thats a great processor)

I don't know much about the Mac Mini if someone could tell me how it is, that would be great, and also those of you with the newer iMacs, how do you like it?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I get the 27" refurbished iMac. That's a great deal and if you don't get it soon it will be gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
agree! - go for the 27" iMac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yeaaah Um... I'd invest in some kind of security system, were I you. Maybe start with a new really good lock (or locks), perhaps an system like ADT or a big ol' junkyard dog!

I'd be a lot more concerned with those things than anything. Just sayin'.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Well if your house was "robbed" (ie: you were home; a home invasion) I'd grab a nice steel-framed .45ACP or an 18" 870 and some 00 buckshot before anything else. If your home was "burglarized" (ie: you were not home) then I'd definitely invest in some type of alarm or safe. A laptop would fit in a safe, which is where mine all stay when I'm away for any appreciable length of time.

For a desktop, any refurbished with a i5 processor or better is a good way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
Well if your house was "robbed" (ie: you were home; a home invasion) I'd grab a nice steel-framed .45ACP or an 18" 870 and some 00 buckshot before anything else. If your home was "burglarized" (ie: you were not home) then I'd definitely invest in some type of alarm or safe. A laptop would fit in a safe, which is where mine all stay when I'm away for any appreciable length of time.

For a desktop, any refurbished with a i5 processor or better is a good way to go.

the i3 3.2 is also a very good processor and probably more than adequate for the majority of peoples needs.. for now and the foreseeable.. just my tuppence..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro i7 (home), Octo-core 2.8Ghz MacPro (work), iPhone 4, iPod Nano, shuffle.
I don't know about exact benchmarks, but I'd be willing to bet the i3 processor isn't a whole lot better than Core 2 Duos. Get an i7 if you can afford it, but at least get an i5.

As for the machine itself, when it came time for me to upgrade from my old MacBook a few months ago I almost got an iMac, but ended up getting a MacBook Pro last minute. I'm so glad I didn't give up portability! I have it connected to a 23" display when I'm doing work at my desk to gain some screen real estate if necessary. Perhaps consider doing something like that, so you can still keep your portability yet have a decent screen to work with when needed.

If you're absolutely sold on a desktop, I'd get an iMac. It's a beautiful, compact, all in one package with an amazing screen. With a MacMini you have to put it somewhere, run the monitor cables, more power wires, power brick, etc. And it usually has the same specs as an iMac anyway (or worse).

You might want to look into one of these too :\
Kensington MicroSaver Lock - Apple Store (U.S.)

Good luck with everything!

Edit: I just re-read your post and what you'd be using the computer for. You might be fine with the i3 actually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about exact benchmarks, but I'd be willing to bet the i3 processor isn't a whole lot better than Core 2 Duos. Get an i7 if you can afford it, but at least get an i5.

As for the machine itself, when it came time for me to upgrade from my old MacBook a few months ago I almost got an iMac, but ended up getting a MacBook Pro last minute. I'm so glad I didn't give up portability! I have it connected to a 23" display when I'm doing work at my desk to gain some screen real estate if necessary. Perhaps consider doing something like that, so you can still keep your portability yet have a decent screen to work with when needed.

If you're absolutely sold on a desktop, I'd get an iMac. It's a beautiful, compact, all in one package with an amazing screen. With a MacMini you have to put it somewhere, run the monitor cables, more power wires, power brick, etc. And it usually has the same specs as an iMac anyway (or worse).

You might want to look into one of these too :\
Kensington MicroSaver Lock - Apple Store (U.S.)

Good luck with everything!

Edit: I just re-read your post and what you'd be using the computer for. You might be fine with the i3 actually.

that's where you'd be wrong.. in real world performance the i3 is at least around 15% faster than the C2D... if you can afford it - you're definately better getting the iX chips compared to the C2D's..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.