• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Sculley: It was a "big mistake" I was ever hired as Apple's CEO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Sculley: It was a "big mistake" I was ever hired as Apple's CEO
AppleInsider | Sculley: It was a "big mistake" I was ever hired as Apple's CEO
Former Apple CEO John Sculley, famous for helping force Steve Jobs from the company he co-founded in 1985, admitted in an interview that his hiring as CEO was a "big mistake" and that Jobs should have been given the job instead.

I agree Jobs was 100x better then Sculley ever was. But without Jobs axing there probably have been no Next (which became OS X). So things would have played out very differently.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sculley has always been a politician. Even when he was CEO at PepsiCo his affiliations with and in politics were apparent. After Clinton was elected in 92 I thought for sure that Sculley would be hired on as advisor especially after his vigorous support. I guess Clinton had him figured out from the start. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a lot of respect for him, as an executive, to make a statement like that. Most executives I've had the displeasure of knowing are absolutely conceited and arrogant. They wouldn't know they were wrong or inept even if it were tattooed across their forehead.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have a lot of respect for him, as an executive, to make a statement like that. Most executives I've had the displeasure of knowing are absolutely conceited and arrogant. They wouldn't know they were wrong or inept even if it were tattooed across their forehead.

I think that sums up our ol mate Ballmer to a tea :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
A lot of people have priased him for his honesty about this, but I am not sold on it. First of all, he says it was Apple's mistake - yet he admits he knew nothing about computers or technology, so why did he accept the job. Responsibility for mutual mistakes always lies with two people, not one.

Also, if Jobs hadn't been to Pixar and had NeXT effectively fail (commercially), Apple would almost certainly not be the company it is today. The design philosophy and culture of Pixar along with the Object Oriented languages at NeXT is really what defines modern Apple.

In the 1980's, Apple was the upstart... today, it's the trailblazer. They are subtely different, but different non-the-less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You're welcome:)

Edit:
I don't know if you guys have seen this tv broadcast , Bloomberg Game Changers: Steve Jobs, but I just watched it, and it's good!

Edit again:
I actually REALLY liked that video! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I agree Jobs was 100x better then Sculley ever was. But without Jobs axing there probably have been no Next (which became OS X). So things would have played out very differently.

Jobs NOW is 100% better than Scully was, Jobs THEN was far, far worse and Scully was a step up at the time. The internal power struggle within Apple at the time only made things worse after Jobs left though.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome:)

Edit:
I don't know if you guys have seen this tv broadcast , Bloomberg Game Changers: Steve Jobs, but I just watched it, and it's good!

Edit again:
I actually REALLY liked that video! lol

Already posted here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/217300-bloomberg.html

And if Sculley was so much better then Jobs at the time then why did Sculley admit to using all of Jobs ideas during the time? I dunno. But personally I think Jobs out of Apple and the whole Next thing was good for Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.