Will I loose the application I download with the format?

Reaction score
The tittle says it all, will I loose the application I paid for if I format my iPhone 3G, knowing that I downloaded the application from iTunes and not from the cellphone itself.

Would like your intake on that.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
If the application is on your computer, no. In fact, even if you download the application to your phone directly, and sync regularly, you'll always retain whatever is synced to your computer.

One other thing - if you re-download a paid-for app, although the app store will tell you the price, you won't actually pay for it a second time. This is useful if you want anyone else to have the app who shares your account, like your wife/husband, children whatever.

OP
ceboustani
Reaction score
If the application is on your computer, no. In fact, even if you download the application to your phone directly, and sync regularly, you'll always retain whatever is synced to your computer.

One other thing - if you re-download a paid-for app, although the app store will tell you the price, you won't actually pay for it a second time. This is useful if you want anyone else to have the app who shares your account, like your wife/husband, children whatever.

Thanks for your reply,
I synchronized all the files and applications and now they are present on my mac.

Cyril

Reaction score
I have questions about this issue too, please help. I'm using Iphone 3G and Imac. I bought many paid applications. They're on Itunes in my computer. If I format my Imac and Iphone, am I be able to re-download them to my account without paying again? I like to format my computer and Iphone often for speed up. So what can I do to pay once and use my applications after formats? Is there a way to back up all applications forever?

By the way, can I use same applications for both Iphone and Ipad without buying it twice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I have questions about this issue too, please help. I'm using Iphone 3G and Imac. I bought many paid applications. They're on Itunes in my computer. If I format my Imac and Iphone, am I be able to re-download them to my account without paying again? I like to format my computer and Iphone often for speed up. So what can I do to pay once and use my applications after formats? Is there a way to back up all applications forever?

By the way, can I use same applications for both Iphone and Ipad without buying it twice?

Yes, this works for applications, although not for music or videos. However, formatting your HDD to a performance boost is a hangover from Windows 95/98 and really isn't necessary for OS X at all. What's more important is that OS X is able to run its maintenance scripts.

You can force run these buy going to the terminal and typing

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

and press enter. You'll be prompted for your password and the scripts will run - they usually take about 2 mins, depending on your circumstances.

C

chas_m

Glad everything worked out for you.

PS. "Loose" and "lose" are two different words. Depending on one's accent, they may sound the same, but they are not. The word you really wanted was "lose."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.