Keeping Shared Doc Folder on Desktop at Startup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.42Ghz,512 Ram, 80gHD
Hello all, I am a Mac newbie. Three weeks now with the Mac mini and lovin' every minute of it. Here's the question. I already posted this question on the "switcher's hang out." No answer to the question there, so I thought I would ask here in the network forum. I wonder if there is a way to have the Shared Doc folder(with Windows XP) stay on the desktop on my mini at start-up. Now I have to open the Finder > Go to Network and connect manually to my Windoze network. It would be great if it was possible. Any ideas?? Thanks,
Mitsycam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
put it in the startup items for the user accounts. Prefferences>accounts>"user">start up items

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 said:
put it in the startup items for the user accounts. Prefferences>accounts>"user">start up items

Yes, it worked. As I said I am a newbie, I have alot to learn. Great that you can share your knowledge. Thanks again, Mitsycam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I prefer not to put it in startup, the reason being if there are any network issues or XP issues at boot you mac may appear to hang while it looks for the share. Just putting an alias on the desktop does the same thing. It will take just a moment to connect the first time, but once connected it is instant the whole session.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MacsWork

MacsWork said:
I prefer not to put it in startup, the reason being if there are any network issues or XP issues at boot you mac may appear to hang while it looks for the share. Just putting an alias on the desktop does the same thing. It will take just a moment to connect the first time, but once connected it is instant the whole session.

I will take your advice and make an alias. I was not aware of this possible startup problem. Makes sense. Thanks, Mitsycam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yeah it really all depends.. I do not have it as a start up because I have a powerbook and I will not be around and it hangs on start up if I do have it as a start up item, so I never even bothered putting it there, but you have a mac mini and the chances of it hanging at start up are very slim if you have the xp machine on all the time and have a good quality system. So I guess its all a personall preference and I am sorry that I over looked that in the previous blurb advice that I gave.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
yeah it really all depends.. I do not have it as a start up because I have a powerbook and I will not be around and it hangs on start up if I do have it as a start up item, so I never even bothered putting it there, but you have a mac mini and the chances of it hanging at start up are very slim if you have the xp machine on all the time and have a good quality system. So I guess its all a personall preference and I am sorry that I over looked that in the previous blurb advice that I gave.

No problem, PowerBookG4. I am going to go with the "alias" suggestion although your suggestion did work. I would rather not get into any network problems if the XP machine does have a startup issue. Thanks Mitsycam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.