How to Set Folder Permission / Locking in usb drive

Reaction score
I am not able to set Folder permission in my USB drive.

I tried following steps & methods which are not fruitful to me:

Method 1.

a. Right clicked folder and selected Get Info.
b. Here i'm not able to Lock my folder
and also i don't see any File/Folder permission settings.

Only i can see Read & write permission.

Method 2:

a. Opened Terminal
b. tried the following command

sudo chmod -R 777 /Volumes/Transcend/<Folder name>

c. i tried ls -l which again reflected permission drwxrwxrwx.

Method 3:

I tried batchmod utility which is also not so useful.

Now please let me know by which i can set my folder permission in my USB drive. To which no other person can read or write. If possible not even copy from usb drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
What you are trying to do is impossible with a USB drive or any HD, the second a different person takes that drive and puts it into his USB slot he is granted Read and Write perms.
The same can be applied to the computers HD, as long as the HD is in the computer and you have booted from the HD you can't look into other users home folder.
But take that same HD and start the computer in Target mode or rip the HD out and stick it into a external HD reader and you can look into every place on that HD no matter what the permissions.

What you can do is make a encrypted disk image.
Although this doesn't hinder anyone from deleting the Disk Image, just reading the Disk Images contents.
Store files securely on a USB flash drive - Mac OS X Hints

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Unless your flash drive has a built-in firmware that lets you set a password your best option is making a disk image to store the data.

This is one of the USB drives that have the option to password protect drive contents and also plays nice with Macs.
16GB Store 'n' Go® PRO USB Drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.