Pro tools user - Imac vs Macbook

Reaction score
Hi there, i'm new to this forum, but i'm an old hand with both Protools and Macs...

I want to ask a question about the comparative performance between my current 20" iMac w/ 2.33GB C2D and 4GB RAM (@ 667mhz), and my intended purchase of a 2008 Macbook 2.4 C2D and 4GB RAM. Basically, I need a FW400 port so my options are limited, so too my budget (of about $800)

Basically - i'm moving into the realm of mobile recording, and whiile I love my iMac, it's not the most ideal computer when you need to lug and haul from location to location. There are solutions around (iLugger bag for example) but they're like band aids on broken arms.

As far as a laptop goes - I don't need a super duper MBP with all the bells and whistles, just something with comparable performance to my current iMac. That said, I do hit the performance ceiling quite often with my iMac, so slightly better performance is preferable to slightly worse.

Would this be a good cross-grade?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I own a 2008 MacBook but it's an early model, the one with integrated graphics. (Intel GMA X3100) It's great for us as we don't need anything more powerful for our work. However, you're going to need something with better graphic capability. You probably should look for a later model - even a late 2008 might be OK. (they have a nVidia GPU). If your budget is $800 you should be able to get a 2009 model or possibly an early 2009 13" MBP. Keep your eye on Craig's List for bargains. Stay away from eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Also bear in mind that the 2008 MacBook doesn't have separate Audio Input and Output, so you really need a firewire or USB interface for this. Given that you'll probably be using one USB for MIDI and maybe one for a dongle or backup HDDs, it can be a pain.

It's a touch one, but perhaps even a 2007 MBP would be a better option.

Reaction score
that MPB should run Pro Tools LE fine -- it might choke on HD. I'm running PTLE 8.04 on my older 2006 iMac (2.0 MHz, Core Duo - no core 2 duo- with 2g Ram, OSX 10.6.4) and everything is fine. I'm using a Digi 003 interface (the desk, not the rack) and couldn't be happier.

You didn't mention what hardware interface you're going to use with PT. The audio in/out on the MBP can be selected as the audio in or out, but not both. The PT hardware doesn't transmit audio over the FW interface (which just seems like a crazy oversight), so you need some other way to get the audio to the computer unless you designate the audio plug as "in" (unless you just headphone monitor from the PT hardware).

I did find I have to lower the buffer size in the Playback Engine on PTLE to 128 samples so I can monitor the recorded track without resorting to using the Zero Latency Monitoring on the 003.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.