Real world gain on upgraded graphics card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
I've sold my iMac core duo to fund my new iMac purchase and will be visiting the mac store on Sunday.

Currently undecided between the two i3 21.5" iMacs. Primarily what will swing the decision will be if I will benefit from the 512mb graphics card?

I don't play games, at all. I primarily use iLife suite, mainly iphoto and iMovie. I edit DV footage and 720p video from my iPhone 4 mainly to publish on my family website (iWeb). In iMovie I do use image stabilisation which took forever on my last mac.

I guess what I am trying to ask is where the larger graphics card would provide real world improvements?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to MacWorld magazine the speed mark for the more expensive 21.5" iMac was 190 while the lesser model's speed mark was 178. They also stated the more expensive model had a better frame rate while playing certain games.

If you're willing to spend the extra money ($300.00 US) you'll probably see better performance for video editing while at the same time preparing for future applications which may be more video intensive. Your choice.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't that score cumulative? ie didn't the slightly faster processor add to the score? I've been unable to find any benchmarks just for the graphics cards.

Thanks for the response

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes you're correct, the score is indeed a cumulative one but notice that they also gave some info about the frame rate. Frame rates are usually what's used to benchmark the machine's graphic capability. If you're not a gamer or graphic application user, the graphic capability and overall speed benchmark may not be important to you. My personal choice would be for the lesser model which would suffice for what we do. But again, it's your decision and money.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Personally I feel the low end iMac will be fine for me. I did everything I wanted to on my 1.83ghz core duo so this will no doubt be a nice upgrade.

I will however time a few real life situations on both machines when I am there, export a few videos from iMovie. I doubt I will see any major differences for my needs.

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.