• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Twitter much??

Reaction score
I think this is to much...
UK police force publishes all incidents to Twitter
From stolen cars to suspicious smells, one of Britain's biggest police forces is tweeting every incident it deals with over a 24 hour-period to prove a point.
The online Twitter campaign aims to show the pressures that police are under as British officials prepare for deep budget cuts.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Personally, I hate Twitter. I love all things technology, but I have never seen the point. Way more information than I usually care to know about!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't like twitter for the exact opposite reason. Not enough information.
When I share information with someone I don't want to be limited to 140 characters or whatever it is. I want to say what I want to say. Be it short or long, that's my choice. And if that choice is taken away from me, then I just wont use that service.

And that's why I do not use or like twitter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
sorry if I offend some die-hard users, but I think twitter is dumb. People share every little detail about what they are doing...i'm going to take a dump...sleep...drink...etc...
The only place I think it's cool to use it is with restaurants and live feeds for daily advertisements to direct traffic/headlines to a lot of people...who know you. I have started to hate it more with all these news media sites saying twitter this and twitter that. Gets so annoying.

Reaction score
+1.

I've always said Twitter is for, well, twits. If this service were put to positive uses, I'd be all for it. But, it's like that "what are you doing now" feature on Shamebook, so vapid. Does the world really care about my current mood?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Twitter is nice for someone who is not me. In this case, it's good to see it being used for a valuable purpose. If you are into Twitter, I don't see why getting up to date public safety information would be a problem unless you enjoy being a sheep. I might actually consider subscribing to a Twit if it actually contained something useful like that.

Reaction score
i'm fairly smart. have a couple of bachelors degrees and a masters, and no matter how hard I try, i just dont 'get' twitter..i REALLY don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
i'm fairly smart. have a couple of bachelors degrees and a masters, and no matter how hard I try, i just dont 'get' twitter..i REALLY don't.

Twitter's target audience really is not the educated folk like yourself. Those people who like saying "hehe look at me eating a bagel while on the crapper". For all those people twitter is perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I think this is to much...
UK police force publishes all incidents to Twitter
From stolen cars to suspicious smells, one of Britain's biggest police forces is tweeting every incident it deals with over a 24 hour-period to prove a point.
The online Twitter campaign aims to show the pressures that police are under as British officials prepare for deep budget cuts.

What do you think?

Would this be Greater Manchester Police by any chance? I kept seeing them trend and wondered why..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Personally, I hate Twitter. I love all things technology, but I have never seen the point. Way more information than I usually care to know about!

I don't like twitter for the exact opposite reason. Not enough information.
When I share information with someone I don't want to be limited to 140 characters or whatever it is <snip>

I recently got into Twitter and to be honest, I see little benefit in an argument for or against it or any other social media tool as their popularity suggest that any argument (for or against) from me would be nothing more than a waste of key strokes.

What I will say, for anyone that cares to read my opinion, is that with the benefit of trending; Twitter allows you to create on-the-fly social networks. A perfect example in the UK has been the Star Trek 'trek-athon' on Film4. Twitter trends for the brand (Star Trek) and the film titles allowed people to have conversations or share their favourite bits of the movie with others that cared for it. I actually really quite like this kind of instant network, it allows for social interaction without requiring a long term commitment to the topic of the moment.

My view at least :)

Reaction score
I love twitter and I'm very well educated.

Great source for on the fly news, sports updates, and of course all those tidbits from athletes, celebs, and news/sports anchors...

Besides, some of the trending topics are hilarious at times.

Then again, I never take life too seriously and can enjoy some of the smaller/unnecessary things in life.

Had some fun with Twitter during the Yankees - Rangers game as well.

Reaction score
I think I have twittered too much, but it has mostly been about pointless topics. I do find it useful to share information on deals at stores quickly. I also have found it useful to attract a company's attention when service has either been poor or good.

Reaction score
i find twitter much more useful than facebook. so far the only thing facebook seems to be for is so old classmates can look you up which is just frightening,

OP
S
Reaction score
i find twitter much more useful than facebook. so far the only thing facebook seems to be for is so old classmates can look you up which is just frightening,

I agree with the old classmates finding you.
I was asked to be friends with at least 5 old friends from high school

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
I like how informal and short twitter is. It is simple and to the point. Easy to manage and less info about you in the public...unless you tweet your personal info. Plus, I like being able to follow well known people; one of my favorite is Mark Cuban.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.