• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Handbrake icon question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
This is a bit of a newbie question,and not a technical one at that, but I figured I would ask here. I am new to Macs and Handbrake 64 bit was one of the first programs I downloaded. I dragged the application into the Application folder and the icon appears and the program seems to open fine. However, I noticed that the icon for Handbrake that showed up in the shortcut application folder (for lack of better terminology) that I have on my desktop is not an icon at all (not the pineapple), but rather a package with an image of a circle and a line through it (a symbol that indicates you shouldn't do something). The program does seem to open when you click this.

Since I am not really familiar with installing programs on a Mac, I was just wondering if maybe I did something wrong or if this is normal for this program.

Also, when I tried to use Handbrake for the first time it asked me if I wanted to download VLC and it didn't locate the DVD I had put in the player (although the DVD player played the DVD when I put it in the computer). Will I need VLC to use Handbrake? Why wouldn't Handbrake find the DVD even though it was in a format that the computer otherwise recognized?

Thanks in advance for the help.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
Icon issue resolved - VLC question

The icon issue miraculously fixed itself tonight. I'm not sure what happened, but I was playing around with the file (looking at the package contents, opening and closing the program, etc.) and when I looked later the icon had changed.

Anyway, I still have the question about the need for and any benefits of VLC with Handbrake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.
Handbrake uses the codecs from VLC to convert the movie to whatever you specify. In a nutshell, yes you must have VLC installed to use Handbrake.

Shawn

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
Thanks. I guess I'm used to running it on my "Windows" machine where no additional software/codecs were needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is a touchy subject here. I PM'd you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.