Power outage messed up my Mac

Reaction score
My Imac crashed the other day when my power went out and I was streaming Netflix. When I re-started the computer it would not boot up. It went as far as the grey Apple logo.

Since then I've been able to boot the Mac off the startup disk. However Safari is very slow and so is Pro Tools. Infact when I launch either of the apps they take either 5 minutes to load or they get hung up and I have to force close them and try again. This never happened prior to the crash. The only difference prior to the crash is that I didn't have Microsoft Silverlight installed. Intermittently I can boot the Mac up without the startup disk but it's not consistent. The system hasn't been stable enough to try to remove Silverlight either

I think I want to back my data up and perhaps re-install 10.5 from my two disks that came with the Mac. I'm not sure the steps I need to do to back it up successfully or if I can get it stable enough to do so. I know I haven't lost any of my Pro Tools files since the crash.

I have all my ProTools recording sessions saved on a Glyph drive and my Mac OS and ProTools software on the hard drive on the Imac.

If anyone has some suggestions on steps to fix this or what might be going on I would appreciate it. I don't get any error messages when I boot up or launch an app either. I suppose when the Mac crashed something happened to the hard drive and now it results in performing very slow

Paul
Parker, CO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You will need to supply more info for more complete diagnosis such as model and year and processor and what OS 10.5.? also it is always a great investment to have a battery
backup/surge protector I like and have had great luck with APC's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.