• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The iPad… now available from Verizon. With Apple's blessings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Verizon to sell Wi-Fi iPads with MiFi bundles, special plans | Electronista

Verizon surprised the industry today by striking an official deal with Apple to carry the iPad in its stores. The deal will use the Wi-Fi models of each but bundle them with a Novatel MiFi 2200 to share a 3G connection with both the iPad and four other devices. Verizon is also offering a special iPad plan that gives these buyers 1GB of data for the MiFi every month for $20.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have been using my MiFi and iPad like this from day one, but it is nice to see that they are offering basically the same deal as AT&T with no contract requirement. The MiFi is tiny and easy to carry, so that is not an issue with me over having it built in on the AT&T model.

Just wish that it wouldn't have taken so long for them to offer this option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I just find it really curious that Apple would choose to launch the iPad in a Verizon store right now considering it's not a CDMA iPad.

Personally I think it's a mistake and ultimately will just result in confused consumers. They should have waited until they had a CDMA version, it's not like they were hurting for distribution channels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Maybe this is just a taste of things to come. Small baby steps toward a large working relationship between the two companies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
... and the walls came tumbling down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I just find it really curious that Apple would choose to launch the iPad in a Verizon store right now considering it's not a CDMA iPad.

Personally I think it's a mistake and ultimately will just result in confused consumers. They should have waited until they had a CDMA version, it's not like they were hurting for distribution channels.

Unless I read wrong it will be the wi-fi versions only so that should eliminate
any confusion as long as the salesman at Verizon tells them about mi-fi and
how to use it in conjunction with there mobile wi-fi devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Pro
I've been using the Verizon MiFi for about 18 months and it's fairly reliable but not particularly speedy. Probably going to switch to the Sierra Wireless hotspot on Sprint or Clear's 4G network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Unless I read wrong it will be the wi-fi versions only so that should eliminate
any confusion as long as the salesman at Verizon tells them about mi-fi and
how to use it in conjunction with there mobile wi-fi devices.

Right. That's how I read it too. No 3G versions through VZW yet. It would not surprise me if iPad 2.0 announcement includes a CDMA version too.

This whole thing has me thinking Apple's expectations for iPad must be extremely high. iPads are now available through Target stores and soon to be sold at Wal-Marts too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I've been using the Verizon MiFi for about 18 months and it's fairly reliable but not particularly speedy. Probably going to switch to the Sierra Wireless hotspot on Sprint or Clear's 4G network.

I have a friend that has been with Clear's home/mobile for two months now and
loves it but be sure to use their maps and make sure your covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
This is a huge deal. I'm as bored as anybody about iphone rumors on big V, but now it seems so much more likely.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll just share this much of something I know. About 3 months ago, Verizon's low-level employees were instructed to get acquainted with iTunes. I won't say more than that, but suffice it to say that the comments I got regarding their experience on setting it up leaves absolutely no doubt that my chain wasn't being yanked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I'll just share this much of something I know. About 3 months ago, Verizon's low-level employees were instructed to get acquainted with iTunes. I won't say more than that, but suffice it to say that the comments I got regarding their experience on setting it up leaves absolutely no doubt that my chain wasn't being yanked.

What kind of experience do you need to 'set itunes up'? Don't you just use it? This post makes no sense to me.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It'd make more sense if I felt comfortable saying more, but I'd rather not risk a friend's job over it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of experience do you need to 'set itunes up'? Don't you just use it? This post makes no sense to me.

Sounds to me like he's saying VZW employees needed to know how to set up an iOS device (in this case, the iPad) in iTunes in anticipation for customers purchasing iPads and activating them at the store. It makes sense because imagine a person has not used AT&T since before the first iPhone came out, for some reason never owned an iPod, iPad, iPhone and therefore has never been through the iOS device setup process in iTunes. It is smart for VZW to be 100% sure their employees are capable of helping a customer activate/set up their new iPad (or any other future iOS device) in order to ensure customer satisfaction. Age old saying: "Know your product."

That's my take on it anyways. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Sounds to me like he's saying VZW employees needed to know how to set up an iOS device (in this case, the iPad) in iTunes in anticipation for customers purchasing iPads and activating them at the store. It makes sense because imagine a person has not used AT&T since before the first iPhone came out, for some reason never owned an iPod, iPad, iPhone and therefore has never been through the iOS device setup process in iTunes. It is smart for VZW to be 100% sure their employees are capable of helping a customer activate/set up their new iPad (or any other future iOS device) in order to ensure customer satisfaction. Age old saying: "Know your product."

That's my take on it anyways. ;D

I get the general 'know your product' angle. I just don't remember having to configure anything in itunes when I bought my ipod touch.

It was just there.

No 'setup' of any kind required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
It'd make more sense if I felt comfortable saying more, but I'd rather not risk a friend's job over it. :)

What are you like 12 years old?
Either say something or don't, but the 'I'll give you a little taste and I could say more but am absolutely bound by honor not to' routine is juvenile for so many reasons, the most egregious of which I will now list:
1. You've already opened your mouth and squealed some, so you've already thrown the concept of keeping quiet for the sake of your friend out the window.
2. Message boards are fairly anonymous aren't they? I doubt the FBI will be at your house for commenting on information a low level employee told you in passing about his work day. And your friend was likely one of many thousands of verizon employees across the country who had this itunes experience so it would be kinda hard to narrow down who your protecting.
3. The ipad with itunes is officially out on Verizon so where's your big scoop? Apparently you just want everybody to know that you knew for 3 months an itunes capable device was being seriously looked at by verizon. Yay for you. Unless you have info on the iphone coming to verizon nobody cares that you already knew about this development. And if you do have news on the iphone going to verizon than nobody will believe you anyway because its highly doubtful that some sleazy verizon salesman's buddy is the guy who's going to break that story. So why tease it at all?

(Sorry for being overly harsh but I'm having a really bad day so take my inane ranting with a huge grain of salt)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well I agree with you Chris. But if you worked for Apple and you leaked info on a forum they'd fire you on the spot. And yes Apple have people who troll forums for rogue employees. And I'm sure other companies do the same.

In saying that, there is a saying:
"If you can't say something, don't say anything at all". Just hinting about it is not good. Best keep the secret to yourself if you really value you're friend current employment status.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get the general 'know your product' angle. I just don't remember having to configure anything in itunes when I bought my ipod touch.

It was just there.

No 'setup' of any kind required.

It's all about the "what-ifs". VZW has to cover all bases. I'm just saying inexperienced customers will be there and if VZW employees aren't prepared, it will lead to negative feedback and loss of customers. That is not good for business.

What are you like 12 years old?...
(Sorry for being overly harsh but I'm having a really bad day so take my inane ranting with a huge grain of salt)

It's best to just type it out for the sake of venting, but these things never do any good if you actually send them. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh fer cryin' out loud.... I said all that's worth saying. Do you really HAVE to know every minute detail? I know Verizon had their employees get acquainted with iTunes a few months ago. No one one needs to know EXACTLY why I trust that info. If you don't see value in that much, then move on. Take it as it is or leave it. It's not worth getting bent over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Oh fer cryin' out loud.... I said all that's worth saying. Do you really HAVE to know every minute detail? I know Verizon had their employees get acquainted with iTunes a few months ago. No one one needs to know EXACTLY why I trust that info. If you don't see value in that much, then move on. Take it as it is or leave it. It's not worth getting bent over.

So is it a big deal or not? Why did you even bother posting it if you can't talk about it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.