iMac frozen - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an iMac, with snow leopard. I stupidly tried to put about 3000 pics on the desktop, and it froze. I had to hold the power button in and shut it down manually. When I restarted it, it let me log in, but now it is just displaying the loading wheel, and wont let me do anything. How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yep…. dropping all those pics on the desktop was a reaalllllllly bad idea. You need to log in to another user with admin privileges and move them. Once in the other user, you'll need to go to the home folder of your regular id. You'll see the Desktop folder, but likely has a "forbidden" badge on it. Right-click on the Desktop folder, hit "Get Info", click the lock at the bottom, authorize the dialogue, then add your current username to the access list with Read & Write permissions. Apply to contents, then move the pics to a new folder.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yep…. dropping all those pics on the desktop was a reaalllllllly bad idea. You need to log in to another user with admin privileges and move them. Once in the other user, you'll need to go to the home folder of your regular id. You'll see the Desktop folder, but likely has a "forbidden" badge on it. Right-click on the Desktop folder, hit "Get Info", click the lock at the bottom, authorize the dialogue, then add your current username to the access list with Read & Write permissions. Apply to contents, then move the pics to a new folder.

thank you for your reply. How do I log in to another user? I only have one user set up on my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Uuuugh. I have some ideas, but I'm on the road now with the missus and can't double check for a simple solution. Hopefully someone else can step in here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can make a new user from the terminal. I have never done this in OSX. I was hoping someone else would come up with another way. If you can't even get to the desktop, the terminal from the Install DVD might be your only way.

Create a new user via the Terminal - Mac OS X Hints

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.