Routine disk clearing

B

businessmoon

I am a new osx convert, and I can't figure out how to free up some memory on my mac. I used to just run the disk de-frag on my PC, but that doesn't appear on the mac. As I only have 10GB left of the original 55GB, I sure could use some help.

p.s
The space is there as I have deleted most of the films that I have downloaded, I just can't get at it.

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can use the DeLocalizer application to free up some space. It will remove some of the unused system region files.

Most of your data will be in your users folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you emptied your Trash? Command+Shift+<-- (backspace) to delete stuff you have put in the trash for good.

Also check out Whatsize (on versiontracker.com) to help you track down memory hogs.

You can also manually run the overnight maintenance jobs using a tool such as Macjanitor or Cocktail (check versiontracker.com) but they won't free up much space, they are more for speeding up your mac.

OP
B

businessmoon

Thanks

I always empty the trash, so I will try downloading Macjanitor and Whatsize.

Thanks for your assistance once again.

Aptmunich said:
Have you emptied your Trash? Command+Shift+<-- (backspace) to delete stuff you have put in the trash for good.

Also check out Whatsize (on versiontracker.com) to help you track down memory hogs.

You can also manually run the overnight maintenance jobs using a tool such as Macjanitor or Cocktail (check versiontracker.com) but they won't free up much space, they are more for speeding up your mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.