iMac - MacBook sharing across airport network

Reaction score
...I know that I should be able to do this standing on my head... In fact I even had it set up once on an older system via 'connect to server', on older computers some time back - somehow I can't seem to replicate that, but can't see what's different, except there's no simple instructions like there was back then (?)...

Can anyone point me to a SIMPLE step by step set-up that will enable me to access my iMac (6,1 - 2.33 GHz running OSX 10.6.4) from my MacBook Pro (also 10.6.4)? Trust me - it needs to be written as if for a 5-year old...

I want to be able to pull files from anywhere on the iMac (and visa versa), not just the public file, as well as set up time-machine to wirelessly back-up. Somehow, no matter what I do, some sections remain locked.

I've searched forums, read relevant sections in the missing manual, but just can't seem to crack this one.

Feeling really really really really dumb... :\

Thanks

Wired

Reaction score
Setting up sharing between Macs is pretty easy. Just go to System Preferences/Sharing and check the box for File Sharing. If you want sharing with Windows, click the Options... button and check Share files and folders using SMB.

To control which folders you can share, add them to the Shared Folders list. To control access add users to the Users list. That's it.

Grant

OP
W
Reaction score
OK - I had done that, but there're several files that still have the locked sign on them... Do I have to put every single into the shared folder? that seems pretty labour intensive

Also - where do I then find them when I'm looking for them on my MBP?

For something that everyone says is so easy, this seems frustratingly difficult.

Wired

Reaction score
If everything is setup correctly, you should see the remote computer from your Finder, left pane, under Shared. If not, you can select Connect to Server from the Go menu. As for certain files having a locked icon, give me an example (file name and path)? OS permissions and file ownership can dictate what you can and can't access remotely.

OP
W
Reaction score
If everything is setup correctly, you should see the remote computer from your Finder, left pane, under Shared. If not, you can select Connect to Server from the Go menu. As for certain files having a locked icon, give me an example (file name and path)? OS permissions and file ownership can dictate what you can and can't access remotely.

OK - can see my iMac in the panel on the left - go to users (open) Steve (that's me - open) - then desktop, documents, downloads, library, movies, music, pictures and public are all locked...

Weirdly - Audioleak, Breaking Bad, CFX, Frostwire, Incomplete, Limewire and sites (whatever all those files all are) are all accessible

Wired

Reaction score
I suspect you might be connecting to the remote computer as a guest instead of your regular account. When you click on the remote computer under Shared, look in the right corner of the Finder window for the Connect As... button. Click it and enter your login and password on the remote computer. By default, or the first time you try it, you connect as guest to the remote computer. You will only see folders that allow guest sharing on the remote computer. You need to authenticate and store the password in your local keychain before it connects automatically as you. Did you connect as guest or your login?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.