WD Essential read speed is super slow all of a sudden - Help!!

vox

Reaction score
Hi,

I got the 1TB model of this...

My Book Essential Edition 3 TB Hard Drives ( WDBACW0030HBK )

...about 4 months ago. One day, out of nowhere, it started to take 2 minutes to mount, then another 2 to display the folder contents, then several minutes more to be able to open files.

And when I tried to copy a file to another drive, it did it incredibly slow.

The drive is not making any strange sounds and I verified with Disk Utility with no errors, but something is obviously wrong. Any ideas/solutions?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the drive is taking 2 minutes to mount, there's something wrong. Could be getting ready to fail. The first thing I would do is remove all your essential data from the drive or at least try to back it up to another. Trying to extract data from a failed 1 TB drive could get expensive even with using specialized software.

Once you get your data removed from the drive, contact WD support and ask them for a RMA. Or if you recently purchased it, take it back and exchange it for another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.