• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to hold media event on 10/20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just now am starting to read the rumors stating that the gray device shown with the apple cut-out is a touch pad...suggesting the future of touch enabled macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I think I am the only person who has this theory but I think Apple will reveal OS 11 Lion. Why I think this? Because Just as Tiger and Leopard are two different species, Lion is another. Why would they use up a different species of the cat family in a .7 updated? I think this will be a preview for the OS update that will come with the touch screen macs next year. This may be a far fetched but I dunno lol.

That makes no sense. Tiger was 10.4. Leopard 10.5. Snow Leopard 10.6. Why would they jump to 11.0 just because the Lion isn't a Tiger or Leopard? By that logic, they may as well have done it with Snow Leopard. The lion is still a big cat, and they are running out of big cat species. 11.0 will probably start over with dogs… 11.0 "Doberman". Or snakes. I like it. Snakes. Mac OS XI Copperhead.

And fer the luv of Dog… Apple is not gonna make a stupid touchscreen Mac!!!!!! It's a stupid dumb bad idea. Touchscreen is well suited to handheld devices… NOT desktop displays. Doubt me? Spend 15 minutes pretending your screen is a touchscreen one. Enjoy your gorilla arm syndrome.

And yes… I know Apple has a patent for an iMac that "morphs" downward into a position for use as a touchscreen. They also have a patent for a click-wheel iPhone, styled after the iPod, and we all know THAT will never happen.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That makes no sense. Tiger was 10.4. Leopard 10.5. Snow Leopard 10.6. Why would they jump to 11.0 just because the Lion isn't a Tiger or Leopard? By that logic, they may as well have done it with Snow Leopard. The lion is still a big cat, and they are running out of big cat species. 11.0 will probably start over with dogs… 11.0 "Doberman". Or snakes. I like it. Snakes. Mac OS XI Copperhead...

I loled a little inside.

Mac OS XI 11.0 CottonMouth
Mac OS XI 11.1 CopperHead
Mac OS XI 11.2 California Mountain Snake
Mac OS XI 11.3 Sidewinder
Mac OS XI 11.4 Black Mamba

You heard it heard first. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This thread has degenerated to the absurd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It would be nice if Apple had "Official Partners" that could sell "Official Hackintosh", offering a budget clone-Apple, instead of being so territorial. More luv, less grudge. ;-)

They did that once. The results were less than optimal for Apple. They are still a hardware company underneath. Bottom line is, it's their garden but it's your choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And fer the luv of Dog… Apple is not gonna make a stupid touchscreen Mac!!!!!! It's a stupid dumb bad idea. Touchscreen is well suited to handheld devices… NOT desktop displays. Doubt me? Spend 15 minutes pretending your screen is a touchscreen one. Enjoy your gorilla arm syndrome.

And yes… I know Apple has a patent for an iMac that "morphs" downward into a position for use as a touchscreen. They also have a patent for a click-wheel iPhone, styled after the iPod, and we all know THAT will never happen.

Everyone thought the ipod was pointless and was a stupid idea and it'd never sell. And everyone was so wrong. And everyone felt the same way about the iphone. And were wrong again. And yet again with the ipad. And people were yet wrong again.

Don't talk down the touch screen Macintosh. I think if Apple were to release one it'd be very good. Have faith. And if you don't like what they release, you can always get a non-touch screen Mac. But keep an open mind at least.

It would be nice if Apple had "Official Partners" that could sell "Official Hackintosh", offering a budget clone-Apple, instead of being so territorial. More luv, less grudge. ;-)

As said above Apple tried that a big way in the Non-Steve years. And it was a big fail. Apple would be very dumb to make such a move again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everyone thought the ipod was pointless and was a stupid idea and it'd never sell. And everyone was so wrong. And everyone felt the same way about the iphone. And were wrong again. And yet again with the ipad. And people were yet wrong again.

Don't talk down the touch screen Macintosh. I think if Apple were to release one it'd be very good. Have faith. And if you don't like what they release, you can always get a non-touch screen Mac. But keep an open mind at least.

Sorry chief, but unless that touchscreen Mac was laying on my desktop in a position that makes sense for that usage, it's not going to happen. And even that seems incredibly awkward. Jobs already said once as much… they looked into it but it didn't make sense to them. And really it doesn't. I used to work with computer equipment that was touchscreen and trust me… gorilla arm is real and it blows. Apple is moving in the more logical direction with multitouch mice and trackpads. I can see a larger trackpad one day… maybe one that even mirrors the screen (heck… you can more or less do that with an iPad). But the main display… ain't gonna happen. The only people interested are some folks who think it's the trendy thing to do, and some real niche needs in business, but Apple caters to neither of these groups.

Reaction score
I loled a little inside.

Mac OS XI 11.0 CottonMouth
Mac OS XI 11.1 CopperHead
Mac OS XI 11.2 California Mountain Snake
Mac OS XI 11.3 Sidewinder
Mac OS XI 11.4 Black Mamba

You heard it heard first. :p

How about species of plants, considering Jobs is a vegetarian?

This might be over some people's heads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Sorry chief, but unless that touchscreen Mac was laying on my desktop in a position that makes sense for that usage, it's not going to happen. And even that seems incredibly awkward. Jobs already said once as much… they looked into it but it didn't make sense to them. And really it doesn't. I used to work with computer equipment that was touchscreen and trust me… gorilla arm is real and it blows. Apple is moving in the more logical direction with multitouch mice and trackpads. I can see a larger trackpad one day… maybe one that even mirrors the screen (heck… you can more or less do that with an iPad). But the main display… ain't gonna happen. The only people interested are some folks who think it's the trendy thing to do, and some real niche needs in business, but Apple caters to neither of these groups.

Well if you are correct why is Apple rushing out to patent so many touchscreen Macintosh ideas now? They have an agenda here. Either a future product in mind. Or are out to stop the competition using these good ideas.

And your link is:
1. Almost 2 years old. A lot has changed since then.
2. Only talks about "no touch screen notebook Macs". Says nothing about touch screen desktop computers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I will go on record here and agree with you - I don't see Apple doing a touchscreen desktop or laptop, period.

Touchscreens are the domain of kiosks and handhelds. They do not work on the desktop. This has been tried and failed on so many occasions that it's a wonder the concept has been resurgent in the past few years (although not surprising, given that the industry keeps trying to run desktop OS tablets that have proven to be an abject failure repeatedly).

I can see Apple continually evolving the Magic Trackpad concept, but even with oleophobic screens, you still can't get around "gorilla arm". It is a novel concept that looks great on TV and in film, but it just doesn't hold any water in real life.

Reaction score
Oh MY FRILLY PURPLE POLKA DOTTED PONY, I am an idiot. I got the naming of OSes all wrong. Soz.

Reaction score
But I disagree with people who think touch screen laptops or even desktops are pointless. MacBook Air could get a touch screen and could be so kick BUTT IMO.

Also, massive touch screen not working on desktop? Wacom Cintiq anyone? I understand why someone wouldnt like to touch their screen or find it tiresome but there are ways to implement it propely. And the argument about the other companies tried but failed is not a good comparison. Up until iOS nobody got touch interface right. So, nobody had a touch device as good as an iPhone. Nobody made a proper tablet in right size and proper touch until iPad. So, I wouldn't rule out a good possibility of other touch alternatives. If there is one company that is Apple who can do it I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will go on record here and agree with you - I don't see Apple doing a touchscreen desktop or laptop, period.

To a point I agree. Sure Apple's patents make me think why are they even patenting that stuff. But in the long term I see computers becoming more portable to ipad like computers will become the norm and they will be powerful enough for everyone to own one as their main computer. And that of cause will be touch screen. The desktops/notebooks I think won't go touchscreen. Not because it's a bad idea. I quite like the idea.

I think simply because the ipad to me is the future of computing and the desktop/notebook is not. To me they are outdated models especially the idea of a keyboard/mouse for input. So old fashioned. And will be totally replaced by touch screen tablets.

And having an idea tried so many times and fail does not automatically make it a bad idea. It just means a lot of people have not done it right. It only takes one product to do it right to make it a success. The ipad for example. Every previous tablet computer really didn't work. Big failures. But Apple made the one good tablet after all the dud ones.

Would I buy an imac tomorrow if it was touch screen? Probably not. I don't think the technology or UI is there at the moment to make it a useful and nice experience. But in the future who knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if you are correct why is Apple rushing out to patent so many touchscreen Macintosh ideas now? They have an agenda here. Either a future product in mind. Or are out to stop the competition using these good ideas.

And your link is:
1. Almost 2 years old. A lot has changed since then.
2. Only talks about "no touch screen notebook Macs". Says nothing about touch screen desktop computers.

They also got a patent last year for a click-wheel iPhone. This is the way the iPhone was heading before they realized that this way sucked, but they proceeded with the patent anyway to protect their work and ideas. I have little doubt that's the story behind these newer patents regarding desktop displays. As before… Jobs said they looked into it but it made no sense. And it doesn't. It's a strain on the shoulder. The hand gets too much in the way to see what you are doing. For a display that is larger than an iPad and further away, you are using much wider, sweeping motions that make it more difficult vs using a mouse/trackpad. Seriously… I very seriously mean this… pretend you have a touchscreen Mac. Take your hands and fingers and pretend to move your windows around and resize pictures for 30 minutes. Pretend you are playing a game using your fingers instead of a mouse. If you are still convinced after simulating this that this makes sense, then I'll say no more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To a point I agree. Sure Apple's patents make me think why are they even patenting that stuff. But in the long term I see computers becoming more portable to ipad like computers will become the norm and they will be powerful enough for everyone to own one as their main computer. And that of cause will be touch screen. The desktops/notebooks I think won't go touchscreen. Not because it's a bad idea. I quite like the idea.

I agree as well. I think the iPad is the first proof of concept for the slate formfactor. I can certainly see portables turning into a "hub" like device that travels and docks into different configurations. And in some of those configurations, touch is the primary user-interface.

I think simply because the ipad to me is the future of computing and the desktop/notebook is not. To me they are outdated models especially the idea of a keyboard/mouse for input. So old fashioned. And will be totally replaced by touch screen tablets.

I think we are moving in that direction. But I don't see a successful device being a dedicated desktop or traditional laptop formfactor adopting a touchscreen as a primary or secondary UI.

Granted, computers are many different things to many people. But in terms of content creation, touch is rarely superior to keyboard/mouse/tablet (pen) user interface.

And having an idea tried so many times and fail does not automatically make it a bad idea. It just means a lot of people have not done it right. It only takes one product to do it right to make it a success. The ipad for example.
Would I buy an imac tomorrow if it was touch screen? Probably not. I don't think the technology or UI is there at the moment to make it a useful and nice experience. But in the future who knows.

Oh, so much to say, but we're really going OT here.

Needless to say, I was not referring to the iPad, which is very different from the Tablet PCs that I was referring to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I very seriously mean this… pretend you have a touchscreen Mac.

I agree with your entire post there. A touch screen imac with a vertical screen is just silly for the exact reasons you mentioned. But tilting the screen so it almost becomes like a large tablet on the screen kinda works. And then you can have vertical mode for OS X and horizontal mode for iOS (touch) or something. But this is a whole lot of maybes. And it's probably best if Apple stuck to things they know will work.

And the idea of patenting old work so the competition can't use it and improve on it I didn't think of. You really might be on to something there. We all know how Apple is. They don't want even the tiniest idea (new or old) getting into their competitors hands.

And to cwa107:
The keyboard/mouse or stylus is superior at the moment. I agree. But who knows what the future can bring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think touchscreen Macs may eventually happen, but I for one think the whole concept of it is stupid. I don't want greasy fingerprints all over my Macbook Pro or an iMac or a Cinema Display.

It's bad enough on my iPad and iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, massive touch screen not working on desktop? Wacom Cintiq anyone?

And how many people have one of those, and how many of your friends have you seen have one in person?

That's what I thought. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the idea of patenting old work so the competition can't use it and improve on it I didn't think of. You really might be on to something there. We all know how Apple is. They don't want even the tiniest idea (new or old) getting into their competitors hands.

And how many patents has Apple received and never implemented? Quite a few. Just because Apple gets a patent on it doesn't mean it will ever see the light of day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.