• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to hold media event on 10/20

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
And to cwa107:
The keyboard/mouse or stylus is superior at the moment. I agree. But who knows what the future can bring.

Think about it this way.... before the advent of computers, what did people use to create content?

Pens, typewriters, stencils, etc. Very few people created anything with finger paint. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Yes, touch-based computing has its place, but it's a novelty for the most part. When people get down to business, they use keyboards, mice and other human interface devices that are mostly an evolution of the devices we used prior to the 'digital age'.

My personal belief is that eventually computers will become very iPad like. That is, you will own one device and many different kinds of docks that change the user experience. When used as a standalone portable device, your computer will look and feel very much like an iPad today. It will scale back the UI to work well with touch. The hardware will adapt to produce less heat and be more power efficient. When you get home or into the office, you'll dock it and interact with a keyboard and pointing device. You may also have a cradle that expands the device further into a laptop type of formfactor. In each case, the hub morphs in an appropriate way based on how you want to work with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
My personal belief is that eventually computers will become very iPad like. That is, you will own one device and many different kinds of docks that change the user experience. When used as a standalone portable device, your computer will look and feel very much like an iPad today. It will scale back the UI to work well with touch. The hardware will adapt to produce less heat and be more power efficient. When you get home or into the office, you'll dock it and interact with a keyboard and pointing device. You may also have a cradle that expands the device further into a laptop type of formfactor. In each case, the hub morphs in an appropriate way based on how you want to work with it.

I completely agree with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
cwa hit the nail on the head with finger paint so maybe more stylus input along with conventional and finger input why not have it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Wasn't this thread about the upcoming Apple media event? ...or was it "the possibility of touch screen iMac"? j/k ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Think about it this way.... before the advent of computers, what did people use to create content?

Pens, typewriters, stencils, etc. Very few people created anything with finger paint. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The aboriginal people in Australia used their fingers to paint stories on the rock walls for thousands of years. And it served them well. Their culture and stories have been going along a lot longer then our modern culture has. Just one example, I'm sure there is many.

But I do have to say your idea of the ipad becoming the goto hub for your tech infused life is really spot on. I kinda had a similar idea in another topic but how you said just makes a lot of sense. And I think that's what we all want. Each of the different UI methods would exist and would be used at the right time.

And back on topic I really think this event will focus on 2 things:

1. The new ilife
2. The next OS. (The official media invite even talked about this in a round about way). And I think this OS will make big use of face time. I think it'll even replace ichat. Or make it more facetime chat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Does anyone else think of the SNL skit about that show Rock of Love that Brett Michaels had whenever they hear "facetime"? This one chick kept saying she wanted to get "face time" with Brett. And she would say it all intense-like "Face time!" :)
Sorry, but I always hear her voice when someone says or types that. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Wasn't this thread about the upcoming Apple media event? ...or was it "the possibility of touch screen iMac"? j/k ;)

Considering no one knows for sure what the event is about, it could be about a lot of things. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I believe part of the reason most people cringe at the thought of a touch pc is due to so many of the past one being absolute crap. I don't think apple intends to release crap like anything that has ever been brought out before. I also think pc's will one day have a partner, like a a future ipad, where you can have your computer on the go. Or at least that's what I expect...the computer industry hasn't really moved much.

OP
Mattlike
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
What time is the event in england, GMT?

I believe you are 8 hours ahead of us here in California (PST), so that would be 6 PM (18:00) your time.

Reaction score
I can't wait to see Lion's new features, but I doubt that we'll be able to get our hands on them anytime this year. Remember, leopard was announced about a year before it was available. Apple will probably make the availability date "Summer 2011" or something like that. They wouldn't launch a new OS without extensive developer beta testing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I believe you are 8 hours ahead of us here in California (PST), so that would be 6 PM (18:00) your time.

It's actually 7 hours since Cali is on Daylight Savings time right now....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
OP
Mattlike
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wonder if OS X.7 will be TRIM compatible for SSD drives?

Whisper is the new MacBook has TRIM activity listed in the Apple System Profiler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
is it the 20th yet?? Reading some new forum posts is driving me crazy! Mondays are always the worst!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you really want some apple action tonight there's always the quarterly finance report.
Yeah yeah they are dead boring but I might watch this one for nothing else to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.