• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to hold media event on 10/20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apart from the fact I think Gizmodo are the scum of the Earth, their info is a nice summary of 10.7.

So pretty much this was in essence an iOS keynote. But more like parts of iOS and iOS hardware we can use in OS X and the new Macbook Airs. So year 2010 was the the year of iOS.

Do I like iOS and OS X coming together? I'm not sure. I do think the App store for Mac is a good idea. To me this was also done for all the people that still say there's not enough good Apps for OS X. We all know that's not just true as we know. But the App store for Mac will just prove that even more. And yeah the App store has the fart (and similar useless) apps. And so will the Mac App store. But also it'll have all the good apps too.

I can see developers we all know and love (or hate) like Adobe, Freeverse, and even many others racing to get all their main Apps tot he app store. Cause to me having to trawl through many app websites or Google for the App I want is a daunting task for those who are not good at computers. And then on these app websites you just hear the App makers praising their own apps to high heaven. Impossible that way to get unbiased feedback on is that App right for me.

But on the new App store for Mac just like the iOS one and the music one you can get customer feedback for the Apps. And you can read many customer reviews and see what the App is like in the real world. And it's a much better way to judge if a certain App is right for you.

And yes people will whinge and cry and go "that's baaad Apple.". That's more nasty closed systems you are forcing on the public. But I say no. For the above reasons a one stop shop is good. The people who don't know much about computing can go there and feel that they will get a useful app that won't be a waste of their hard earnt money. And the tech minded of us still have the usual channels (Developer websites, macupdate.com/versiontracker.com and others) to get their apps. So it's just another option for OS X. Not the only option like iOS. So in that respect adding in the Mac App store in addition to the usual way we get OS X apps is a good idea.

Next. Mision Control. Kind of unifies Expose, Spaces and Dashboard into one featured App is a sense. Which is good, less clutter in the dock. Plus most people either use Expose and Spaces or neither of them. And best to have them both available at one click. The downside? Jobs and co said nothing about where widgets would be going. His demo just showed you can organise your apps on your Mac screen in a grid just like in iOS. But not a word was said if widgets would still be in 10.7 or not. Personally I like dashboard as it is in 10.6. Sure it uses up a little more memory then I'd like. But all the info there (world times, stock prices, conversion tables, daily garfield comic etc etc for me) is really useful to have. At one click I get all that info. I hope these widgets are not removed from 10.7. Actually moving the widgets to their own separate space and accessing this widget space through Mission Control would be the best solution in my opinion.

Multitouch through trackpads, mice, and flat horizontal (and not vertical) screens is the way to go. We here all agree with it. And I'm personally glad Apple see this too.

The new Macbook Air. To me it's the closest to a netbook Apple will ever get. And compared to the current white Macbook they are honestly a good choice. I actually like them. Unlike the old Macbook Air which I thought was very over priced for what it did.

Unlike Apple though I'm not 100% sold on Flash storage. I've read up how flash stores and writes over data compared the platters on a standard hard drive. And if I remember correctly you can erase and write over a sector in the hard drive many more times on a platter then flash before said sector goes bad. In a PC this would not matter as they get replaced often. But people tend to hang onto their Mac products for a long time cause of the price and they just last so long, this becomes an issue. And if the flash storage goes bad, how costly would it be to replace. You can replace a standard hard drive easily. But because Apple solder the individual flash chips to the motherboard, it'll be a hard expensive task to fix/replace bad flash.

So in short I like flash storage. The traditional hard drives are so bug and bulky and have all those moving parts. But is flash technology good enough to be relied upon as the main storage point for your important data? I just don't know. But if you have a Time Machine or Super Duper or similar backup of your data (as you should) it becomes less of an issue. But still I think I'll feel better after a few real world tests on this flash storage in the new Airs.

The price on the Macbook Airs seems fair. 128GB (with the extra cost) is not much storage these days. To me around 250GB to 500GB is about what most people are using as their internal computing drives. Sure I could live off 128 at a push. But if I needed 10% to 15% of the flash drive free (like I do an ordinary drive) for OS X virtual and other memories then it'd be a hard ask for many people. Photos and music is what a lot of people store on their computers. And you can easily have 50GB+ of photos or music. So for my money I'd spring for the bigger Macbook Air.

Two more points I would like to say about the Macbook Air.
1. The 13.3 inch model has a 1440x900 screen resolution. And that's the same max resolution I have in my 2006 17inch imac. So in 4 years or so Apple have increased the number of pixels per inch by a lot. I would go to an Apple store and check this out in person. Cause these really tiny pixels can make for some really tiny font in pages and other such things. So check if this new screen is for you.

2. The GPU should be fine for most non gaming and most basic (non 3D) gaming tasks. So I don't see an issue there. But expect to spring $100 or so more for an Apple external Superdrive if this Macbook Air is to be your main computer. So overall I like these new Macbook Airs. Are they better then the Macbook or the Macbook Pro? I would say for some people yes and for others no. It'd be all up to the individual needs of the person.

And lastly the titbits.
ilife 11 to me is just gravy. Lots of fancy features. Makes your time using the apps much better. But not 100% necessary. So if you don't get it, ilife 09 will still work and to everything you want.

Facetime for OS X. I wonder if every Mac with a camera will be able to use it or just the ones with the better cameras. Apart from that more gravy. But really nice gravy.

So in the end apart from ilife 11, everything in this keynote was bringing certain iOS features to the Mac. Totally telling us that 2010 was the year of the iOS.

That was just my 2¢ on the keynote. My opinions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed. They keep adding layers and layers to the OS.

Now we have the Dock, Command-Tab, Expose, the "Flick" gesture, and Mission Control.

When your OS needs five different ways to switch between programs, you're doing something wrong.

Oh why I think 5 different ways is when you're doing something right. Then you can choose the method that best suits you. Not have to change how you work for the only method available.

And from my impression of things, Expose is Mission Control. So they won't be separate things. Mission Control will be like Expose/Spaces and more all rolled into one thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The Mac App store is fine as long as I don't have to use it. And as long as developers are not prevented from also making their software available outside of it.

I don't want Apple involved in deciding what's allowed on my Mac and what's not. And I certainly don't want their "approval process" holding up application updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac App store is fine as long as I don't have to use it. And as long as developers are not prevented from also making their software available outside of it.

I don't want Apple involved in deciding what's allowed on my Mac and what's not. And I certainly don't want their "approval process" holding up application updates.

Jobs did say the OS X app store will not be the only way to gets apps but the best (in his opinion) way to get apps. So for all those Apple App store haters out there, I don't think Apple will force it to be the only way to get Apps for the Mac. It'd be pretty much financial suicide if they did. No one would buy a Mac if you were forced to use the App store.

I agree with you though. How we gets apps now + the app store is a good idea. But the App store alone on the Mac is a bad idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jobs did say the OS X app store will not be the only way to gets apps but the best (in his opinion) way to get apps.

I know that's what he said, but...

we also haven't seen the App Store agreement yet. What I worry is that Apple will force devs who want to distribute via App Store to only use the App Store. And from a devs perspective, if Apple is putting all its marketing muscle behind the App Store, it would be suicide not to use it.

So effectively the Mac App Store wouldn't be the "only" way, but it would quickly become the "only" way to get software.

Let's hope Apple didn't do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And honestly, what the heck is with Apple making FaceTime a stand alone app on the Mac? I could see it being necessary on a Windows port, but isn't that why Apple has iChat?

FaceTime should have just been built into iChat unless Apple is leaning towards killing iChat which wouldn't surprise me give its lack of development in the last 5 or so years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's all about money. If you sell your App on your own site Apple get $0 from the sale. But if you sell in the App Store Apple get 30%. And 30% of a stupidly large number of iOS apps equals a lot of revenue for Apple. And I think Apple want their 30% of the OS X app market too. So the devs still want their money cause they work hard or their apps. So expect the App store releases to jump by 30% in cost to cover the Apple fee.

But you do make a good point. Apple could make you distribute a piece of software either your own way or on the App store, and not both. So you might be right there.

And a 2nd question. Would the OS X app store be "no adobe flash" like the iOS counterpart is?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MYmacROX, Agreed. I like the different ways to do things also. So work better with some things and other with other things. It also gives the user a choice which is nice. I was just pointing out a possibility. I have nothing against all the choices.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Agreed times a million (yes, I agree that much). When I first saw mention of the Mac App Store, I started thinking back on previous comments I made: "If Apple goes to an App Store only method of application install, they can count me as a lost customer." I still stand by that having no intention of using a computer where I can only install applications from one source. That said, I think Apple recognizes the backlash they would experience if they tried that and I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't dumb enough to lock Mac users into the MAS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think everyone is over-thinking the concept of the Mac App store. They wouldn't be stupid enough to make such a move like that. What I think it will be, is an easier access to mac downloads without having to go to apples online site to view apps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That said, I think Apple recognizes the backlash they would experience if they tried that and I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't dumb enough to lock Mac users into the MAS.

I think everyone is over-thinking the concept of the Mac App store. They wouldn't be stupid enough to make such a move like that.

I don't think we're all over thinking it. ;)

Reaction score
So when he says "Mac Apps", does he mean Apps from the Downloads site? I like the idea, but I'll miss having to deal with .dmg files in my downloads folder…well, this is only a small spoonful of Lion. I'm sure we'll get a bigger helping after everything is cooked before next summer.

With that being said, I'm hungry now. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They wouldn't be stupid enough to make such a move like that.

That phrase has been uttered many times before only to be proven wrong. Never be surprised by what Apple decides to do. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I believe he stated that the app store was the best but not the only way to get them I may
have to watch it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ok I just tried Face Time from phone to Mac to MacBook and it works great the beta is out now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm so disappointed in the battery life of the 11". it pretty much removed energy to spin the hdd, has smaller screen, more efficient processor, but only 5 hours?? Come on!!!

Maybe the 11" doesn't have room for as much battery as the 13". Just a guess, I don't know for sure but it would make the most sense to me. :Confused:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe the 11" doesn't have room for as much battery as the 13". Just a guess, I don't know for sure but it would make the most sense to me. :Confused:

And I think you are dead on right. The 11" is a lot smaller and has less room for a battery. Otherwise, what other reason with a less powerful CPU and same other features would make it draw more from the battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah as showed in the keynote, the computer takes up a relatively small part of the whole Macbook Air package. The screen and the battery is what takes up most of the bulk. And I think not enough space for a 7 hour battery is dead right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.