• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to hold media event on 10/20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OK, I'll be brave and say they'll announce OS XI...

Think about it... first of all, OS X was introduced in 2000 and Jobs said it was the OS for the next decade, which is almost up. 2011... XI... and Apple need to start thinking about managed memory (see John Siracusa's articles on Arstechnica) AND there will surely be a new synergy between iOS and the desktop OS.

...just Sayin'

Otherwise, less ambitious, it will be:

- New MBA... I think that's a obvious one
- OS X 7, with TRIM, native 64-bit (bye bye, Core Duos) and minimum requirement of 32 CUDA cores (bye bye Intel GPUs)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
OK, I'll be brave and say they'll announce OS XI...

Think about it... first of all, OS X was introduced in 2000 and Jobs said it was the OS for the next decade, which is almost up. 2011... XI... and Apple need to start thinking about managed memory (see John Siracusa's articles on Arstechnica) AND there will surely be a new synergy between iOS and the desktop OS.

...just Sayin'

Otherwise, less ambitious, it will be:

- New MBA... I think that's a obvious one
- OS X 7, with TRIM, native 64-bit (bye bye, Core Duos) and minimum requirement of 32 CUDA cores (bye bye Intel GPUs)

I think you've got 2 very valid points. The new OS is expected, so I'm not too concerned about that...it's GONNA come out. What I can't wait for is the new MBA(preferably the 11" model), and hopefully with a price tag under 1000:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have to agree the OS XI is a really logical idea.
And to me Apple really need to stay one step ahead on the competition cause Windows 7 is slowly looking good. And who knows what the boys at Redmond have up their sleeves.

But in saying that memory management and iOS/OS X integration on it's own seems more like a 10.6 release. As in all under the hood stuff. For an OS XI you'll need a whole load of under the hood and flashy stuff too. Or people won't be happy. For 10.5 I could see things people wanted but didn't have. A way to back up data, better finder, etc etc. But for this new system I have a hard time coming up with things people need that is not already there.

But no the other hand there is this as I posted above.
Apple says that it will include "a sneak peek of the next major version of Mac OS X."
Next version of OS X points right at 10.7 cause OS XI is not OS X. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz, 4-GB DDR3, 500-GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
About time to get the new MBA 11.6"
I have been waiting since early this year... ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
But in saying that memory management and iOS/OS X integration on it's own seems more like a 10.6 release. As in all under the hood stuff.

Well, this is easily a big enough topic for its own thread, but you couldn't be more wrong about a new managed memory OS. It would need a major re-write of the APIs and the Micro-Kernel - the difference is not a stark as say OS 9 and OS X, but it's probably as big as the changed from XP to Vista... and look how that went.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well, this is easily a big enough topic for its own thread, but you couldn't be more wrong about a new managed memory OS. It would need a major re-write of the APIs and the Micro-Kernel - the difference is not a stark as say OS 9 and OS X, but it's probably as big as the changed from XP to Vista... and look how that went.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say yes I agree this new memory management system is big. I think it's the next big step for Apple. And it would require an overhaul of the OS X code as you say. It's all very major stuff, but all under the hood still.

Most of the average users don't care how magic the memory management system of OS X is. They only care that their photos are stored more neatly, they can back up their data, their apps work fine etc etc. So basic bling. The stuff 10.5 was full of - bling bling.

My point was as massive as the under the hood memory change will be it's still not the bling bling the average user wants. And for that reason that alone won't be a new system. You'll need that for the devs + the bling bling for the average user.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple really needs to keep iOS as a mobile OS and OS X as a desktop/notebook/server OS. iOS was tailored to the mobile platform much like Android was. I only mention Android because Google employees are right - Android isn't meant for something it wasn't designed for. The same goes for iOS - keep it in the mobile space and leave it there. And honestly, do you really want to run iOS apps on your Mac? The only application I can see is for something like an instant-on OS like SplashTop but I don't see that.

What I want: nerd stuff. Give me pervasive multicore support in all Apple apps, faster boot times and honestly, an uninstaller for pkgs. Is there really any reason that a pkg uninstaller has never been included in OS X?

Reaction score
Apple to hold 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th, we'll be there live!
By Joshua Topolsky posted Oct 13th 2010 11:06AM
Breaking News
Oh boy. New Air? Verizon iPhone? Jobs grows a huge beard? Probably not. Apple wants to talk about "what's new for the Mac," which could mean some hardware -- but the company definitely wants to talk software too. See that lion sneaking around behind the logo? Apple is bringing the media out to Cupertino to discuss (amongst other things) the next version of OS X. That's right -- a non-mobile product. If you think it's too early for 10.7, don't worry -- last time we did this dance, the company previewed Snow Leopard about a year before it hit your screens. The whole thing goes down at 10AM PT on October 20th, and we'll be covering the news live! Stay tuned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Look at everyone getting excited at the prospect of a new OS. SL has been out just over 12 months and i for one am happy with it ATM.
There isnt anything ATM that i need in a new OS to be able to keep happy. SL does all and more for me.

Are we moving too fast ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I can name a lot of apple stuff that people thought were perfect...until they released a newer version. I get what you mean though.

Reaction score
Look at everyone getting excited at the prospect of a new OS. SL has been out just over 12 months and i for one am happy with it ATM.
There isnt anything ATM that i need in a new OS to be able to keep happy. SL does all and more for me.

Wow. One year. Wow.

Well, all the things in Snow Leopard are generally things (as the8thark mentioned) under the hood, like how 7 is an extension of sorts of Vista. At least that is how I see it. If Apple is previewing OS X 10.7 on Wednesday, it will be another year and a half before it will ever be released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can name a lot of apple stuff that people thought were perfect...until they released a newer version. I get what you mean though.

That's the catch. Nothing is ever perfect. And it just takes real talent to improve on the things that seem good to most of us at the time. I think it's the same with me and the food. Nothing I ever cook I am totally happy with. Sure most says I'm really happy with my performance in the kitchen at work but there's always that little niggle inside telling me "how can I make this even better then it already is?". And I think that's the whole point here. SL is just great. But how can you improve on SL. How can you make it even better?

Reaction score
I coulda' sworn that when Apple prepared to release new iPods, their website had the event picture (Apple guitar) on the lower left- all roughly 12 to 24 hours before the event. Right now? There is NO indication of the event...hmm...

I've said this once, I'll say it again- when it was announced that Apple was releasing the iPhone 4, everybody thought it was one day, when really it was one day ahead of schedule, i.e they announced one day after everybody thought the event was going to take place.

So what if we're all wrong about the date of the event? What if?... :eek:

Just a little thinker..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes but Apple have to send out invitations too all those media types. And they can't really play around with the date there. I'm sure they will mock the public a little cause Apple know we are so into their every word. Sure we don't agree with everything Apple says but we're willing to listen. But those media types, screw with them and Apple might find their media events are a little short on the crowd side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
man...I got classes alllll dayyyyy todayyyyy...I hope I don't miss anything fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Except if you really think about it, SL was just a minor version release different then Leopard. So really it's been about 3 years since the last truly major OS X release right now. And I'm going to guess that "Lion" won't be out until late next summer or fall so we'll be looking at 4 years by that point.

And in the end if you're happy enough with SL, Apple isn't making you upgrade. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Apple has leaked their product announcements today via their discussion forums!

Google T?umacz

iLife '11
New MBA
"Reserved 10 20" mystery product (Probably OSX 10.7)

So, pretty much what everyone was thinking, but there's still all of the juicy details to be revealed this morning!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Live Stream!
Apple to Provide Live Video Streaming of Today's Event
What: Live video stream of Apple's October 20 event
When: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 10:00 a.m. PDT
Where: Apple (United Kingdom)
Live Video Streaming
Apple® will broadcast its October 20 event online using Apple's industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards. Viewing requires either a Mac® running Safari® on Mac OS® X version 10.6 Snow Leopard®, an iPhone® or iPod touch® running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad™. The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on October 20, 2010 at Apple (United Kingdom).
This broadcast is the property of Apple and is protected by US copyright law and international treaties. Any reproduction or distribution is strictly prohibited without prior written approval from Apple. Please contact Apple Public Relations with any questions.
Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple is reinventing the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

Also they left a space open for another product fleurya, it might be the magical iMac Touch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.