• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to hold media event on 10/20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I don't think you have any worries there. Every OS X gestation period has been longer than 18 months in recent versions. You can bet that any release is easily a year off.

I'm fairly new to the mac announcements. First started following all this junk, except what shows up in mainstream news (new ipods and what-not), around November of last year. You suppose they would make an OS announcement that early before a release?

I know at least with their gadgets, they'll make an announcement and it's available within the month.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm fairly new to the mac announcements. First started following all this junk, except what shows up in mainstream news (new ipods and what-not), around November of last year. You suppose they would make an OS announcement that early before a release?

I know at least with their gadgets, they'll make an announcement and it's available within the month.

As I recall, Leopard was announced initially and subsequently demoed a full year before release. Snow Leopard was announced in January and released the following October (as I recall). So if they're true to form, it will be quite awhile before the final product is fully baked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think we'll have a better understanding of how far away it is after the event just based on what Apple tells us will be part of the new release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
As I recall, Leopard was announced initially and subsequently demoed a full year before release. Snow Leopard was announced in January and released the following October (as I recall). So if they're true to form, it will be quite awhile before the final product is fully baked.

You are correct, sir.
I was just going to point out the quote from engadget regarding time frames of OSX releases.

If you think it's too early for 10.7, don't worry -- last time we did this dance, the company previewed Snow Leopard about a year before it hit your screens.

Highly unlikely "Lion" will be interfering with anyone's Holiday shopping this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One things for certain the answers to some of the questions will be answered the 20th and
it looks as though things are moving along faster than in the past if the upgrades in the mobile line are any indication.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Every time Apple announces a new OS they put in new features that I didn't even know I needed.
I wonder what it is gonna be this time…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I hope it's lion, but I sure hate it's in the holiday season. I have too many xmas presents to buy! If 10.7 comes out before xmas, I'll have to wait until January to upgrade.

I doubt it will come out then... Snow Leopard did just come out in August 09, after all. Falling in line with previous OS X releases like Tiger and Leopard, usually Steve shows a pretty little demo and then targets a june release. We'll see. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I hope it's lion, but I sure hate it's in the holiday season. I have too many xmas presents to buy! If 10.7 comes out before xmas, I'll have to wait until January to upgrade.
It won't be coming out at Christmas. OS X 10.7 is, my guess, a year out at a minimum.

Thank goodness. I was wondering if they cared about non-iOS development anymore.
+1. It sure does seem that they've neglected the PC side of business (I mean PC in the literal sense).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Yea, for sure. After all, we're only on 10.6.4 right now, anyway. Tiger went through 10.4.11, Leopard went to 10.5.8 before 10.6 came out...

Also, remember Longhorn? 2003 announcement/media leak. Turned into Vista... 2006 release. A year prior to launch is a great time to show off some of the neat tricks you're working on. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't mind seeing a speed bump for the Core i7 Macbook Pros with USB 3.

I wouldn't hold your breath for USB 3.0. Even if Intel finally starts implementing it, I don't expect Apple to be an early adopter. It seems like they are throwing their weight behind Light Peak, which fits in with their design ethos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm going to go on a little rant about apple right now. This media event, with that very revealing picture, is just even more filling on the cake. It's like Apple keeps on pounding a nail that is already nailed flush. They are selling iphones, ipods, and ipads like crazy. Their stocks are at a record high. There is an expected new carrier coming soon, along with a new device, and a couple refreshes. Plus this new OS10.7 'Lion'.
Ladies and germs, now is the time to stock up on them stocks!

This is very exciting news to me.

Also, if it is called Lion, do you think there is a reason for that, since the Lion is...top of the chain?
I do like Lynx though...Sabretooth...oh yeahhh....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm going to go on a little rant about apple right now. This media event, with that very revealing picture, is just even more filling on the cake. It's like Apple keeps on pounding a nail that is already nailed flush. They are selling iphones, ipods, and ipads like crazy. Their stocks are at a record high. There is an expected new carrier coming soon, along with a new device, and a couple refreshes. Plus this new OS10.7 'Lion'.
Ladies and germs, now is the time to stock up on them stocks!

It seems Apple is not happy with killing the competition. Apple want to bury the competition under 10 metres of Earth too and make sure they never surface.

I do have to say the one thing Apple do better than anyone else is this:

I own an Apple product or service and I'm ok with it. But Apple make a new one and even if it's only 1% better then last year's model Apple make it sound like it's so awesome and I need it. Do I really need it? No. But Apple make me think I do. And Apple get more sales.

On the other hand I see other companies product launches and I'm like "meh it's alright or meh maybe I could find a use for that". The whole idea of "your life is incomplete without this new feature which will improve your life this way" is something only Apple does very well.

And I'm sure they'll make 10.7 sound so brilliant that we'll all have to get it.

One thing though. I really they don't cut out C2D support. I'd be sad if they did that with 10.7 A lot of people don't yet have i-series computers. I know I don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I don't think it is so much about killing the competition as it is to keep innovating and not
follow their competitors habits of long periods of time before something new comes about.

Reaction score
These last couple years- I've always predicted 10.7 would be Lion. Funny how it rolls off the tongue a little…I'm so giddy! :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I own an Apple product or service and I'm ok with it. But Apple make a new one and even if it's only 1% better then last year's model Apple make it sound like it's so awesome and I need it. Do I really need it? No. But Apple make me think I do. And Apple get more sales.
This is one thing that not even the Apple haters can deny: the impressive ability of the Apple marketing team to market their products. I can't think of many other companies that have the same level of persuasive marketing.

One thing though. I really they don't cut out C2D support. I'd be sad if they did that with 10.7 A lot of people don't yet have i-series computers. I know I don't.
Don't worry, that won't happen. They wouldn't cut support for a line of processors that they are still selling. Even if the next iteration of OS X was released after they discontinued the C2D, there would be too many C2D machines capable of running intensive software to neglect that market.

Reaction score
I don't think it is so much about killing the competition as it is to keep innovating and not
follow their competitors habits of long periods of time before something new comes about.

They must follow the slogan of Specialized Bicycles:"Innovate or Die". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 2013 15" i7 2.7 16GB 500f /24" Cinema Disp /iP 4S /Mag.Mouse&Trackp/ aTV2 / ModBookC2D
If you have a look at Apples update calendar it appears there should be also an update for the MacBook Pros .. <every 8 -10 months> (13" and maybe some small upgrades for 15" & 17" ) and ... all the rumours around point for Macbook Air update.

The MacBook Air will probably get smaller screen and the new processor

MBP 13" i3 & and even i5 option

MBP 15" & 17" I think 750GB HDD (because the 1 TB discs want fit to the MBP unibody - too high), new nvidia cards and maybe Blue-Ray drives at last.

Reaction score
I think I am the only person who has this theory but I think Apple will reveal OS 11 Lion. Why I think this? Because Just as Tiger and Leopard are two different species, Lion is another. Why would they use up a different species of the cat family in a .7 updated? I think this will be a preview for the OS update that will come with the touch screen macs next year. This may be a far fetched but I dunno lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.