Emac booting up problems

Reaction score
I went away on the weekend just to come back to realise my Emac wont boot up anymore. when i switch it on the apple logo appaer with the usual gong, but it takes an age to go past this stage then i have a blank blue screen with the loading circle appaearing now again on the blue screen. Any suggestions whats wrong with it? and how i can fix it. p.s. i cant open the CD drive via the keyboard. Id appreciates any comments you may have.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might be a dead hard drive. Do you have your original install CDs to use for trouble shooting? Also, please included specs for the eMac: year, model, and which version of OS X you're running.

OP
W
Reaction score
it was originally running OS 10.3 panther but its now running on 10.5 leopard. I have the discs for 10.5 but not sure if i got the originals. I purchased it in 2004 and its 1.25ghz version. as previously mentioned i cant open the cd drive either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use the Leopard disk to run Disk Utility to check the hard drive, however, you must be able to boot the machine from the disk. What do you mean the CD drive can not be opened? Does that model have a tray loading drive instead of slot loaded? If it's a tray loading drive, there should be a small access hole in the front that you can insert a straightened paper clip to unlatch the tray and open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
All eMacs have a tray load for disks. To force open, use a straightened paper clip (or similar). Pull down the flap with a fingernail. Just to the left of the hinge slot, is the pin hole. Push the clip into the hole, and the tray should slide open enough for you to pull it the rest of its distance manually (gently).

Put the OS Disk 1 in the tray, push it back in (gently), and then try rebooting, holding down the C key on the keyboard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Hugh. I'm not familiar with the eMac line but I suspected that it had a tray loader when the OP said he couldn't get it to open with the keyboard. I also mentioned about using a paper clip.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi, I've managed to run the disk uility, and there were defects in the list but hereapir wont work! Is it worth erasing the hard drive and instaling fresh OS. does thismean its definitely the hard drive is the problem?

Reaction score
Hi, I've managed to run the disk uility, and there were defects in the list but hereapir wont work! Is it worth erasing the hard drive and instaling fresh OS. does thismean its definitely the hard drive is the problem?

djkfdk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hi, I've managed to run the disk utility, and there were defects in the list but repair wont work! Is it worth erasing the hard drive and installing fresh OS. does this mean its definitely the hard drive is the problem?

If DU repair won't work, it suggests that the hard drive is failing/has failed.

You have three options at this stage:
1. Reformat the present drive - but it may not fix what is wrong, ie. a physical defect (hard drives or essential parts thereof do wear out),
2. Try Disk Warrior, an excellent disk repair utility - but it's expensive @ ~US$100,
3. Replace the present faulty hard drive with a new or good used hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.