Cinema Display - Weirdness

Reaction score
Hey gang,

New to the forum, need some help. I have some weird stuff going on with my Cinema Displays. Attached is an image of what I'm seeing, if anyone knows what this is, if it can be fixed, or if it's going to get worse, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Erik

_MG_4802.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the picture you submitted a screenshot? If it is, it may indicate a problem with your graphics adapter not the display. If you swap displays, does the same thing happen?

OP
W
Reaction score
Is the picture you submitted a screenshot? If it is, it may indicate a problem with your graphics adapter not the display. If you swap displays, does the same thing happen?

It's a photograph I took, not a screen shot. When I talked to Apple, though they couldn't help me too much because it's not under warranty, he did suggest I try hooking it up to another computer to see if it's the video card. I connected the problem display to my MacBook Pro and it had the same issue. Kind of the reverse of what you suggested. So I believe it's definitely the screen going bad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I agree with you. If the display looked the same on another machine, that pretty much narrows it down to the display itself. There really isn't anything you can do to correct it. Seems a shame that an expensive display like that would develop problems. You might want to call Apple again and express your displeasure (politely of course). Perhaps you may run into a sympathetic support person who might be willing to help.

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you. If the display looked the same on another machine, that pretty much narrows it down to the display itself. There really isn't anything you can do to correct it. Seems a shame that an expensive display like that would develop problems. You might want to call Apple again and express your displeasure (politely of course). Perhaps you may run into a sympathetic support person who might be willing to help.

Yeah, it sure is a shame, you spend $1,400 on a set of monitors (which I've been extremely pleased with up to this point) and they start doing this after only 3 years. I will definitely call them back and see if I can get someone to help me out. Can't hurt. Just sad though, I have an older Cinema Display (see through acrylic frame with kickstand) that I bought back in 2002 I think, and that thing still looks beautiful! Go figure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.