Dented iPod 4 with screen damage

Reaction score
Today I accidentally dropped my iPod 4g for the 10th time since I've gotten it - however, this time, when I picked it up I noticed that it had a dent on the side right next to the volume up button. The dent is in the metal and it's seemed to scrape the black area as well. when I turned my iPod on, there was a mysterious gray "blob" sort of thing on the side right where the dent is. Further, when I pressed down to see if maybe it would help, the whole screen flipped out on me and went almost all white with splashes of color - sort of like when a screen goes negative.
Anyway, I don't think I can survive with my iPod like this. Are there any suggestions? I'm going to try to go to Apple to see what they suggest but I also wanted to see if anyone here had something to say about it. I'm kind of freaking out.
Thanks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Not much you can do. Dropping your devices like that is obviously not good. Too bad you had to find out the hard way. >_<"

OP
A
Reaction score
Not much you can do. Dropping your devices like that is obviously not good. Too bad you had to find out the hard way. >_<"

Unfortunately D:
I find it amazing how easily it damaged though...I must have dropped my iPod touch 1G like a million times and it just looks a bit scratched up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just depends on how and where it hits.

Can't help but suggest you try and learn not to drop $250+ pieces of electronics.

OP
A
Reaction score
Just depends on how and where it hits.

Can't help but suggest you try and learn not to drop $250+ pieces of electronics.

Obviously it wasn't intentional. It was connected to my computer and the cord was looped around the armrest on my chair, apparently. So when I moved my chair, the iPod fell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
You could try and replace the screen yourself it's not that hard! There are lots of spares on eBay!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Obviously it wasn't intentional. It was connected to my computer and the cord was looped around the armrest on my chair, apparently. So when I moved my chair, the iPod fell.

I'm quite sure it wasn't intentional. But, you should consider the following:

dropped my iPod 4g for the 10th time
and

I must have dropped my iPod touch 1G like a million times
I can honestly tell you, that during my 3+ years of iPhone ownership, neither one of them have ever been "dropped". My iPad, never "dropped". The 3 different iPods I've owned over the last 4 years, I can count the number of times they were "dropped" on the fingers of one hand.

While I'm sure a million was at least a little bit of an exaggeration, and yes I know I sound like your parents, there is something wrong with that picture.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm quite sure it wasn't intentional. But, you should consider the following:

and

I can honestly tell you, that during my 3+ years of iPhone ownership, neither one of them have ever been "dropped". My iPad, never "dropped". The 3 different iPods I've owned over the last 4 years, I can count the number of times they were "dropped" on the fingers of one hand.

While I'm sure a million was at least a little bit of an exaggeration, and yes I know I sound like your parents, there is something wrong with that picture.

I have pocket, my pants are relatively loose. Thus, a drop. I'm not careless, but I can't help it if my iPod slips out of my pocket without my knowledge. My reflexes aren't those of Flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have pocket, my pants are relatively loose. Thus, a drop. I'm not careless, but I can't help it if my iPod slips out of my pocket without my knowledge. My reflexes aren't those of Flash.

Buy an ipod case with a chain that attaches to your belt so if it falls out of your pocket the chain will stop it hitting the ground.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.