How can I export iTunes MP3 tags to the actual MP3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz)
I recently decided to go through my MP3 collection and re-categorize my music to 5 specific genres. I did this all in iTunes on my MBP.

Now I would like to transfer these MP3s to my desktop computer. However I have discovered that the changes have not been transported with the files. How can I have the info saved on the MP3 file so the new categories appear on my desktop?

edit: on my desktop I am using Linux so iTunes is not available as far as I am aware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Are you talking about the actual file-type being MP3, or just the ID3 tags that you tag each file with?

If you're talking about re-encoding to MP3, you click "Edit" > "Preferences" and under the General tab, click "Import Settings" and select the MP3 encoder (adjust settings to taste).

Click okay, and then select all of your files, and right/control-click and select "Create MP3" version.

This will re-encode everything to MP3, and make a new copy of each file, so you'll have a lot of duplicates.

On the flip-side, if you're talking about the tags, simply right/control-click the files you want to edit the tags and click "Get Info" and edit to your taste under the "Info" tab. You can mass-edit, for instance, an entire album, you can group-edit the artist/album name/genre, etc..

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I just realized you were actually talking about the tags (I was tired when I replied, hahaha). Anyways, the ID3 tags should go with the file.. For example, I edit my ID3 tags in iTunes/Winamp, and when I use the files in different media players, they work/show up normally. I'd imagine the media player within Linux (haven't used it in a while), would show them as well if they were edited elsewhere.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I initially had my music collection (MP3s) on my desktop (Linux). Then I copied it onto my MBP. And I decided to make the changes on the mBP in iTunes. So, for instance, one of the genres I have is Local. In iTunes on the MBP the artists show as having that Genre. If I copy those MP3s --> USB stick --> MP3 folder on desktop (overwriting or importing from different folder); when I open Rythmnbox (Linux), it shows the old tags.

It took me a long time to change the tags and I can't bear the thought of having to redo them on the desktop.

Thinking about it, I have the whole collection on my iPod (with new Genres). Would export from the iPod to Linux work (using the Create MP3 option you mention above)?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
On Linux in Rhythmbox can you re-import the new MP3 file as opposed to just replacing the existing file, so that it is forced to re-check the ID3 tags. It's possible that the id3 tags are cached..

Regards

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I installed Play in Snow Leopard and it shows the old Genre tags.

I imported the MP3s from the MBP folder that houses the MP3s. So I do think that iTunes has the data and it is not being "exported" to the actual file.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gtkpod in linux was able to extract the sonmgs from the ipod into mp3 format with all the relevant tags.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah it was my fault.

I had created my own MP3 folder. But iTunes media folder was a different folder. The option to copy files to the iTunes was enabled as well.

So I've changed the iTunes media folder to the one I created and unticked the copy option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.