My brand new MBP has battery problems?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram. It's 3 months old and according to coconut battery it is at 90% of original battery capacity.

Meanwhile, my boyfriends macbook pro is still at 100% after 1 year of constant use.

Could I be doing something wrong or should I contact apple?

I use it everyday, mostly light stuff but I spend about 20 hours a week using the Adobe creative suite and doing video editing. I used to keep it in the charger all the time, but someone told me I shouldn't so now I let the battery fully drain and then charge while using it, but since I started doing this the battery capacity has been diminishing faster!

Any help is much appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys,

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram. It's 3 months old and according to coconut battery it is at 90% of original battery capacity.

Meanwhile, my boyfriends macbook pro is still at 100% after 1 year of constant use.

Could I be doing something wrong or should I contact apple?

People use their laptops differently...so it's really not always easy to make direct comparisons.

I used to keep it in the charger all the time, but someone told me I shouldn't so now I let the battery fully drain and then charge while using it, but since I started doing this the battery capacity has been diminishing faster!

This should tell you something...cause & effect. People will differ on what they think is the best way to extend battery life...I (98+% of the time) have my computer plugged in.

Also realize a battery cycle is a battery cycle is a battery cycle. Batteries have an average number of battery charge/discharge cycles in them. Older "user removable" laptop batteries have about a 300 cycle "lifetime"...the newer "non-user removable" Apple batteries are supposed to have a 1000 cycle lifetime. Obviously individual results will vary.

In your case...you actually are using up 1 full battery cycle when you fully discharge your battery & recharge it...so of course your battery is "aging" faster than your boyfriends computer battery.

Here's what Apple recommends:

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

By the way...I've had my current battery for about 14 months (actually I'm not sure how old it is exactly, I bought the computer used)...Coconut Battery reports:

- 25 load cycles
- 100% current capacity
- I'm plugged in 98-99% of the time
- I drain my battery to about 80% full...approximately once/month.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.