• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Magic Jack...anyone know about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
Just got a Magic Jack, do they really work?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes. Kind of strange to buy something...and then ask "Do They Really Work?";)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never used one on a Mac, but I have seen the Magic Jack on a friends PC. Seemed to work very well, sort of like Vonage but cheaper per year. I have been told they work on any Modern Mac. I looked at one at Best Buy and believe it said Intel Mac but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yes. Kind of strange to buy something...and then ask "Do They Really Work?";)

- Nick

What's even more strange/funny/facepalm-ish, is when I get calls from people asking if MJ will work with our phones. I'm a customer service agent for a mobile phone company in Canada..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What's even more strange/funny/facepalm-ish, is when I get calls from people asking if MJ will work with our phones. I'm a customer service agent for a mobile phone company in Canada..

Keeps life interesting!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
They work fine. The only problem is that the voice quality goes down real noticeably when calling internationally(which is the only reason my dad has it). That, and the fact that your computer needs to be on all the time to use it, or if you want to receive calls from it from a vop number, can sometimes make calls end quickly, or never start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
At least your an Islanders fan!

Yep we are. Of the really big one south of the equator :)

And back on topic it should work. But best to ask the guy at the store (or other people online) first. Best to get all the info on something before you buy it.

Reaction score
?

I have heard bad things about it and yes the quality does drop especially internationally, My uncle has one and when my grandma tries to call him she can't understand what he is saying

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I personally dislike and do not trust VOIP lines. I use them at work and the call quality is just terrible most times.

It's like some one's trying to talk to you through a swarm of angry wasps, the volume isn't consistant, calls drop frequently, etc, etc

I can't vouche for MJ, but I've heard both good and bad things from customers I've spoken to.

You get what you pay for..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Usually, skype works better for us...

Reaction score
I know a friend who has one to talk local and loves it.
My mom bought one to talk to people over seas and it does fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.