weak/no signal for internet

Reaction score
Equipment: mac book pro

Using the internet from my house is virtually impossible with the mac's standard hardware. Other users have no issues from the same location with their laptops (not macs).

I've started looking into different antennas to improve signal reception.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I want something that works and has a good track record.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Before you jump into conclusions ... what makes you think the issue is hardware related ?

Is there any encryption on the WiFi ?
Are you hiding SSID's ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Have you tried istumbler?
http://www.istumbler.net/
You can see your network including signal to noise - maybe you have something interfering.

OP
J
Reaction score
"virtually impossible"

Meaning it will work occasionally but the signal shows as very weak and connection is very slow. When it doesn't work (most of the time) it does not pick up a service.

My present thinking is the "signal" is there but the mac does not pick up the signal (where others do). I'm not meaning this to say the mac has a "hardware problem" . The mac may be functioning as designed and as it is designed it is inadequate for my operating conditions.

I'm looking for a way to increase the signal reception. I've looked at some of the aftermarket antennas and am interested in any feedback on these and/or recommendations.

thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.