Does AppleCare????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
Bought my brother a 17" iMac G5 for his birthday from a local dealer. To make a long story short the I've taken it in there 5 times and they are refusing to replace it. It is only 2 weeks old and it won't boot up without the pinwheel of death constantly spinning. My brother is very good on Mac's and he hasn't installed any 3rd party software. The dealer just keeps making me bring it back in for repairs. I've demanded a refund and they are refusing saying that Apple won't allow it. What should I do, I've called apple and they say that I have to take it up with the dealer. This is total BS!!!

I

iMe

Thats BS.....surely the dealers cant tell that your brother's computer is a lemon? I would just continue to fight them until they take it back. If the computer keeps breaking, then you should do everything in your power to get them to take it back. Applecare wont be neccesary unless you plan on keeping it. If you already have applecare, then your dealers are sh*t heads........

OP
donnation25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The dealers keep coming up with new excuses. They told me over the phone that I need to bring in the mouse and keyboard and that that could be the problem. They said something about (dualies????). Whatever that means. I've never bought from them before but I was referred to them by a local business.

OP
donnation25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacTown in Kentucky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well in Germany the law is that the dealer has 3 tries to fix the problem and after that the customer can demand a complete cash refund. Any laws like this in the US?

Have you tried a fresh OS X installation?

K

kenjyoung

Sounds like where you got the Mac is messing you around. There are similar rules in the UK as there are in Germany however the difference being that you have to give the supplier "reasonable chance" to fix it.

I would check your local consumer rights.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Consumer rights are found in Federal and state law, and in the printed warranties delivered with every new computer. Under a Federal law, known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, consumers have an absolute right to satisfactory warranty repairs. If the company is unwilling or unable to make successful repairs, the company has breached its warranty obligation to you, regardless of whether they acted in good faith to remedy the concern or not.
In such a case, the consumer is entitled to either a NEW COMPUTER ( or printer, scanner, software etc.) or a FULL REFUND without charge, in exchange for the defective unit. In addition, the company pays all legal fees and costs associated with any successful claim.

You may also have other rights. Many state laws give consumers the right to obtain much more than a refund and some even permit the consumer to receive three times the purchase price as damages.

The warranty which came with the computer may entitle you to additional rights too, such as the option to return their product within a set period of time if not totally satisfied or the option to upgrade to a different model.

Whether the company tries to assist you, or is just giving you the run around, these rights remain in effect and cannot be altered or surrendered under Federal law.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, so now go back there and suggest you two work it out in court...

OP
donnation25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going back there today to argue with these guys again. They have done a fresh OSX install, but nothing seems to work. I have a feeling that they sold me a refurb. The bad thing is, after the third time of returning it I asked them if they would just exchange it and they said "That is against apple's policy to just "give you" another one." It is really unbelievable. The guy that I talked to hung up on me after I told him that I now just wanted a refund. I'm going in there today and I'll keep you posted as to what has happened.

B

Badger

If you used a credit card then dispute the charges. Tell the credit card company that the merchandise is defective and that the dealer has failed to respond appropriately. The company will suspend the charges and not pay the dealer pending a resolution. That usually gets action.

OP
donnation25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man these guys made me mad today!!!! I went back in to pick it up this morning and they said the problem was probably something I "imagined." The fact that they even said that made me furious, but I agreed to take it back to my brother on the hopes that it would be working. As soon as we boot it up it starts running real loud (I have the 20" version and it is silent as a mouse). We let it sit for a while and come back in and the screensaver is frozen on the screen and it is making a clicking noise. The clicking noise immediately made me think "bad harddrive." So we got out my brothers video camera and rebooted. I started filming and after the initial boot, BLUE SCREEN!!!!!! We boot again and LOCKUP AT THE STARTUP SCREEN!! I got the whole thing on film. I took it back in there and asked them to watch the video. The guy looks at me and says "Yeah, it looks like there is something wrong with it, what do you want to do." I told them I wanted a refund. The guy yells to the back "Get him a refund minus our 15%." I said in a very loudly "What is the 15% for??" He says "We are keeping a 15% restocking fee." Well at this point I was ready to blow (and there were at least 15-20 people in the store) and I went off. I called the guy an A-Hole and told him that he had no idea how to run a business. He then tries to FORCEABLY remove me from the store for calling him an a-hole. Well this guy is like 50, and i'm 30 and am 6'5 210 lbs. and I wasn't budging. I told him if he kept 15% I would alert the local media, stick up fliers around his business and tell everyone I knew what a ****** business he was running. After screaming at him for about 5 minutes his partner comes out and goes here, take this and get out. I looked at the check he'd given me and it was a full refund. My exact words were "Thank you, and both of you guys can go **** yourselves." I know that was harsh, but these guys deserved it and I got the refund. I'm just gonna go directly through apple from now on. Sorry this was so long but I had to rant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Let us know if the check clears.

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Aptmunich said:
Well in Germany the law is that the dealer has 3 tries to fix the problem and after that the customer can demand a complete cash refund. Any laws like this in the US?

Have you tried a fresh OS X installation?
In some states... with pretty much anything like in new jersey, computers, cars, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
donnation25 said:
Man these guys made me mad today!!!! I went back in to pick it up this morning and they said the problem was probably something I "imagined." The fact that they even said that made me furious, but I agreed to take it back to my brother on the hopes that it would be working. As soon as we boot it up it starts running real loud (I have the 20" version and it is silent as a mouse). We let it sit for a while and come back in and the screensaver is frozen on the screen and it is making a clicking noise. The clicking noise immediately made me think "bad harddrive." So we got out my brothers video camera and rebooted. I started filming and after the initial boot, BLUE SCREEN!!!!!! We boot again and LOCKUP AT THE STARTUP SCREEN!! I got the whole thing on film. I took it back in there and asked them to watch the video. The guy looks at me and says "Yeah, it looks like there is something wrong with it, what do you want to do." I told them I wanted a refund. The guy yells to the back "Get him a refund minus our 15%." I said in a very loudly "What is the 15% for??" He says "We are keeping a 15% restocking fee." Well at this point I was ready to blow (and there were at least 15-20 people in the store) and I went off. I called the guy an A-Hole and told him that he had no idea how to run a business. He then tries to FORCEABLY remove me from the store for calling him an a-hole. Well this guy is like 50, and i'm 30 and am 6'5 210 lbs. and I wasn't budging. I told him if he kept 15% I would alert the local media, stick up fliers around his business and tell everyone I knew what a ****** business he was running. After screaming at him for about 5 minutes his partner comes out and goes here, take this and get out. I looked at the check he'd given me and it was a full refund. My exact words were "Thank you, and both of you guys can go **** yourselves." I know that was harsh, but these guys deserved it and I got the refund. I'm just gonna go directly through apple from now on. Sorry this was so long but I had to rant.

Good job buddy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
yes...but the BBB doesn't...they're useless..

rman said:
You many need to contact these guys (Better Business Bureau).

The BBB is completely freekin' worthless. All they do is make a list of complaints against companies. Unless you checked with them before you bought and discovered that there were other problems lodged against them then you are out of luck. The only possible help they might be is if the company happens to be a member of the BBB and really cares if they can retain their sticker on the door.

They might contact them to let them know a complaint has been filed but they really do nothing to help you resolve it and they have no real influence with most businesses.

Once you've done the deal it's too late.

I always thought the BBB would help consumers deal with bad companies....what I discovered is that even to file a report they wanted to charge me money.

Don't waste your time.

Reaction score
****,, someone was about to get "THE ROCK BOTTOM" on that *****!!

Great job man!! Glad you got you $$ back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might have been a bit overly dramatic, but at least you got the job done. Plus, what are you gonna do if they try to rip you like that?

Now just order it from Apple direct...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.