Question About Wireless: Icon

Reaction score
I'm waiting for wireless setup in my new apartment. There is a "free wifi" network available, and I can connect to it, but as I've seen with public wireless networks before, once I connect the little triangle icon at the top of the screen that indicates your connection strength is a hollow triangle with an icon of a computer in it. Also, I can't access the internet. It will say the signal strength is good, but won't let you load any web pages.

Can you tell me what this means? Is there any way to access the internet with this kind of connection? Thanks so much in advance for any replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Someone has a Mac setup to create it's own network. (no router) Generally used for easy file moving between laptops. Could only access the web if they were connected and had Internet sharing turned on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most apartment complexes that have free WiFi require a log on procedure with password in order to keep free loaders off. I'm betting that the free WiFi setup in your apartment building or complex is the same. Check with the apartment office to find out the correct procedure for logging on and using their Wifi network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.