Can you burn a backup copy of Mac OS X

B

bleujaegel

I'm trying to burn a backup copy of OS X, and it fails verification every time. Do the DVD and CD have copy protection? I tried both, but I can burn an image of other CD's fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
OS X 10.4 has a copy protection built into the OS, meaning you can burn a copy under 10.2 and 10.3 but not if Tiger is installed on the machine doing the copying.

Get a pc friend to burn a backup,...

OP
B

bleujaegel

So if I'm on 10.3, there's no copy protection? I can burn 10.3 on a 10.3 machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, that shouldn't be a problem.

OP
B

bleujaegel

I've tried 2 different DVD burners, an Aopen and a Lite-on. Both are brand new. Neither will burn the Mac OS X dvd. It appears successful, but when it verifies, it gives a 'Mismatch at byte 1802/sector 83456. Verification failed' in Toast Titanium 6.1.1. I've tried burning a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD +RW, and different brands, but always this **** error. I've wasted at least 12 disks. Have you heard of this problem? Is the Mac and Toast super picky about what brand of media and drive you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really, although some disks do work better than others...

Have you tried to see if the disk will install anyway? Sometimes verification fails although the disk is actually okay.

Is the original disk scratch & dirt free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Copied from another forum
Hope it helps.

1. Insert the 10.4 Install DVD

2. Open Disk Utility, and select the DVD from the list in the pane on the left (select the DVD icon on top)

3. In DU, go to the File menu and select New > Disk Image from disk1

4. Choose to format the disk image as DVD/CD Master, name the disk image and click Save.

5. When the .cdr file is created, do a Get Info on it and lock the file. Locking the file prevents invisible files from being created on the disc when it is burned. These files may affect bootability of the back up disc. (Thanks, Red Dwarf.)

6. Choose the .cdr file in the left hand pane of the DU window, click Burn, and insert a new, blank DVD.

Following these steps, you should have a bootable copy of your 10.4 Install DVD.
Best.

OP
B

bleujaegel

The Burn option in the Disk Utility is greyed out, even after I put in a new blank disc and try to burn. I have to use Toast 6, and even after following your directions up until burning, I still the the Mismatch at Byte xxx Sector xxxxxx. Verification failed error when burning with Toast. In Toast, I select 'Copy', then 'Image file'. I load the file, and burn it as DVD. I can't find any other way in Toast to burn an image file. Ughhh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get a pc friend to burn it?

OP
B

bleujaegel

Well, I finally bought a Mac to try it out. I wanted to find out for myself what the benefits of using a Mac are. So far, I cannot update from 10.3.3 to 10.3.9 successfully. I cannot even update to 10.3.8 combo successfully. I still cannot burn a DVD successfully. Even after using 2 different DVD burners and 5 different types and brands of media. It's very disheartening to say the least. Such simple things that are never a problem in Windows... I will struggle on through to solve these problems one way or another, but I thank everyone for their help. Long live the Mac. Now if I can just get it working right.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried to download the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9 and install it?

That will bring you up to OS X 10.3.9. It appears that you are talking about two difference situations here. Making a back up copy of OS X, is not updating it.

At least that is what I am reading here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, first off:

Is this a brand new mac? Or is it a used mac that had an old 10.3 installation on it? If that's the case I'd consider starting from a clean installation, as the bugs you're experiencing certainly aren't normal...
As for backing up, I'd recommend using a dedicated backup-app to make an image to burn to DVD.

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Ok, first off:

Is this a brand new mac? Or is it a used mac that had an old 10.3 installation on it? If that's the case I'd consider starting from a clean installation, as the bugs you're experiencing certainly aren't normal...
As for backing up, I'd recommend using a dedicated backup-app to make an image to burn to DVD.
This dedicated backup-app your talking about, what and where are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, there's always backup that comes with .mac, but if you check versiontracker.com there's a ton of backup utilities...

Reaction score
I have backup with .mac, you mean I can save everything on there from here? I didn't think that was possible I gotta look into that thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use it personally, but I know you can setup backups to CD & DVD with it.

OP
B

bleujaegel

OK, here's the situation. I bought a B&W G3 off eBay. I created 2 partitions on the hard drive. 10GB UFS as the OS partition, and 10GB as the Mac Extended partition. I was thinking that possibly I could install OS9 on the other partition to play around with it in the future. However, reading the installation notes for OS X, it doesn't sound like you should use UFS at all if your planning on using OS9 or earlier. Anyway, this was a clean install of OS 10.3.3. I ran Memtest and it passed. I ran the Disk Utility to repair the disk and also the permissions. I zapped the PRAM, tried the Safe Boot, and reset nvram..., but I still am having strange problems. I'm still suspicious of the RAM however. I can't remember if I mentioned the 'kernel panic' problem, but I had that too. Finally, I did a repair install this morning, but am still getting the /tmp/501/blah blah permission problem when updating. I am doing a clean reinstall this time, but I am thinking about sticking with the Mac Extended FS this time. Onward and forward!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I'd also really stick to the recommended filesystem if you had all those problems...
Good luck!

OP
B

bleujaegel

I reinstalled OS 10.3.3 again. This time with the Mac Extended journaled file system. Same freakin problem. The first thing that I did after a clean install was attempt to update via Sofware Update. I skipped to the last update (117MB) and downloaded it. It gave me the same permission error /tmp/501/etc..etc. Basically don't have rights to access the tmp directory. I checked them last install, and they were fine. 755. Anyone have any more ideas?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Use the disk utility application to repair permissions, if haven't.

I am really confused here on what you are doing. Are you trying to create a OS X bootable DVD, or are you trying to rebuild your systen (OS)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.