Auto Mounting Network Drives

Reaction score
Hello

I am new here so here is my first question,

I just upgraded to snow leopard this weekend and I am having a small problem.

I have an aspire easystore nas box, I want the volume to automount, I have been reading how to this: Here is what I did:

Finder > GO >Connect to Server
smb://hercules or IP - I tried both ways
UID and PASS

Mounted just fine, I can read and write files to the volume - no problems - the problems start when I want to have it reconnect at startup: Here is what I did:

Made the volume appear on the desktop then opened
>system preferences > Accounts > clicked on my account >login items

Draged and dropped the volume into the window checked the "hide" and restarted the computer, the volume never opened, I looked back into:

>system preferences > Accounts > clicked on my account >login items

The line was gone, I tried it a few times same thing, so I created a new account and tried it with that account and it worked, why does it keep removing the line from the other account. Is there a way to make it work without having to use a new account.

next even though it worked on the other account, what I find annoying is that the volume window always opens on startup, how can I make that stop.

Any help would be great - I love mac, but there has to be an easier way that I am missing

DB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I use Automator to auto mount shares.

Open Automator and use the File and Folders library items to drag to the work space.

Get Specified Servers
Connect to Servers

Be sure to save the credentials in the keychain when testing and then save the Automator Application to then run it as a startup item.

OP
S
Reaction score
Still no luck

I tried the automater

I watched a tutorial and did what it said, when I went to save as the file it said it saves it but it never appears in the folder,

I added the the folder to accounts > login items > but when I reboot the line I added is missing from login items

Why will it not allow me to add anything to my login items

OP
S
Reaction score
Cannot add or delete

In my login items i have five things:

Microsoft AU Daemon
Safari
System Events
Smile box tray
itunesHelper

I did not add any of these, when I delete them and reboot they all are back after reboot, so I cannot or delete any "login items" for this account.

Any ideas would be great,

I like the automater only if i could get that to work that would solve my problems,

I am not sure why when I save my automater script it does not show up in the folder but when I click save as and try to save it in the same dir it prompts me that the file already exists but when I do a search it is not found.

This is driving me crazy I have been trying to get a network share to automount all day:Grimmace:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try this...

1. Mount the drive by connecting to it as you normally would.
2. Right-click the mounted drive and choose "Make Alias"
3. Open Accounts > Login Items and drag the alias you just made to the Login Items

See if that does the trick.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sill deletes

I just tried that, still same thing when I open login items after reboot the line has been deleted. I tried a new account and it works, just this one account (which is my main account) will not save or delete anything in "login items"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try deleting com.apple.loginitems.plist from ~/Library/Preferences

Make a backup first of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.