Apple TV 2nd Gen - Avi Files & Hack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sure it does. Go to FILE > EXPORT in QT and change it to ATV or m4v...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah but for the time it takes to convert i may as well do it in handbrake and get much better quality.

Funny. I think I said that a whole page back...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes well why it works in iTunes and NOT ATV isnt good. Anyways i have my ATV2 hooked up and was watching Movies in 4 mins flat. Awesome me thinks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes well why it works in iTunes and NOT ATV isnt good. Anyways i have my ATV2 hooked up and was watching Movies in 4 mins flat. Awesome me thinks. :)

Well, if you got it working then someone isn't doing something right here...

Reaction score
Handbrake is probably one of if not THE single best freeware Apps for the Mac. These guys don't take donations even if you want to give them money. Sometimes you gotta love open source.

How do convert the .avi with a subtitle .srt to itunes with handbrake, i cant get to put them togeter in a single mp4

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd go to the Handbrake forums and do a search. If nothing turns up log onto their IRC chat and ask there, someone will know how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Google firecore. It costs some money, but they usually do a nice job of making the whole hacking process very user friendly. They have a product available for the original apple tv and are working on the second apple tv. They should have a hack up and running in the near future that will allow you to play many file types on the apple tv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I think iTunes can play some stuff that isn't m4v/mp4 via Quicktime (or something). I've been able to take video shot on my Droid X and add it to iTunes in 3gp MPEG-4 format without conversion. It plays fine on my notebook. However, for my ATV or ATV2 to access it, it seems to need to be in m4v/mp4 format. I haven't tried viewing .mov yet on the ATV2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods
Handbrake is awesome. I rip most DVD's I buy, especially the kids movies. They cant scratch Aladdin if its in a box in the garage.

Apparently their Windows version is less user friendly though. I have had several friends and relatives come over and marvel at my DVD collection being only a couple of remote control clicks away. I show them Handbrake, how to rip etc. Then a couple days later, they call and cant figure out Handbrake for Windows.
I tell em to buy a real computer :)

Reaction score
I tried the QT save as Movie solution, it works and imports into itunes.I've then tried playing it directly over airplay from my mac book pro but i get an error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
firecore just released a tethered jailbreak for the AppleTV 2. It's still in beta and is not for the faint hearted, but with it you could run a plex client on the AppleTV 2. I have been using this to stream content of any file type to my AppleTV.

Reaction score

so did you get the .mov file you did the "save as" idea to work on ATV2? I am close to buying one and I have a lot of avi files I watch. I do have handbrake as well and can go that route to convert if need be.

Reaction score
so did you get the .mov file you did the "save as" idea to work on ATV2? I am close to buying one and I have a lot of avi files I watch. I do have handbrake as well and can go that route to convert if need be.

I did the .mov thing and sent to Apple TV i got sound over their but no picture. Everything worked fine ifI used handbrake and converted.

So not sure if others are using the "save as" idea and getting it to work.

Reaction score
****--I use HB to convert MKV files in 1080p and it takes 10 to 15 HOURS using some custom 1080p settings in HB. I am running a late 2008 MB aluminum 2.4Ghz core duo with 6GB of ram....the processor is just the bottleneck. I am curious if anyone has a better solution to get MKV to MP4(M4V) while maintaining the quality. I'm considering upgrading to a iMac i7 Quad just because of this conversion issue. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm considering upgrading to a iMac i7 Quad just because of this conversion issue. Any suggestions?

You answered your own question. If you want to keep the quality you need a better CPU. You can speed it up by sacrificing quality, it's a simple trade off.

Reaction score
You answered your own question. If you want to keep the quality you need a better CPU. You can speed it up by sacrificing quality, it's a simple trade off.

Understood but does 10 to 15 hours of a HB conversion of this nature sound normal? I mean the AQ and PQ is basically perfect 1080p but isn't this crazy long in terms of conversion times? Care to venture a guess as to how much better the i7 Quad with maxed RAM would process these files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.